Community Bond Committees seek input on proposed 2007-2012 bond program
Four Community Bond Committees have been created to obtain community input and analyze potential projects to be included as part of the City’s proposed 2007-2012 Bond Program scheduled for voter consideration on May 12, 2007. The bond program can be achieved without an increase in the City’s property tax rate.
The four committees include: Streets and Sidewalks; Drainage; Parks; and Community Initiatives. Each committee is made up of 32 members -- two co-chairs appointed by Mayor Phil Hardberger and 30 committee members, three representing each Council district and appointed by their respective Councilpersons (see list of each committee’s members).
“By bringing together a diverse group of individuals with varied backgrounds and experiences from across the city, it is expected that the Community Bond Committees will be able to critically evaluate and recommend a prioritized list of projects to City Council for the 2007-2012 Bond Program,” says City Manager Sheryl Sculley.
The proposed five-year bond program is $550 million and does not include a property tax rate increase. City Council has allocated $300 million to streets and sidewalk improvements, $150 million to drainage improvements, $50 million for park improvements, and $50 million for community initiative neighborhood improvements.
Each of the committees will conduct at least three public meetings. All meetings will be held at the Development and Business Services Center (DBSC), 1901 S. Alamo, in either the Board Room or Training Room, according to the following schedule:
- Monday, December 11 5:30 p.m. Drainage Committee (Board Room)
- Tuesday, December 12 5:00 p.m. Streets and Sidewalks Committee (Board Room)
- Wednesday, Dec. 13 4:00 p.m. Community Initiatives Committee (Training Room)
- Monday, December 18 5:00 p.m. Parks Committee (Training Room)
- Tuesday, December 19 5:00 p.m. Streets & Sidewalks Committee (Training Room)
- Monday, January 8 3:00 p.m. Community Initiatives Committee (Training Room)
- Monday, January 8 5:00 p.m. Parks Committee (Training Room)
- Tuesday, January 9 5:00 p.m. Streets and Sidewalks Committee (Board Room)
- Wednesday, January 10 5:30 p.m. Drainage Committee (Training Room)
- Tuesday, January 16 5:00 p.m. Streets and Sidewalks Committee (Training Room)
- Wednesday, January 17 5:30 p.m. Drainage Committee (Training Room)
- Thursday, January 18 3:00 p.m. Community Initiatives Committee (Board Room)
- Monday, January 22 5:00 p.m. Parks Committee (Board Room)
- Tuesday, January 23 5:00 p.m. Streets and Sidewalks Committee (Training Room)
The initial meeting for each committee will include a staff presentation on city-wide projects. All bond committee meetings are open to the public. Residents are encouraged to attend any community bond meeting to participate and offer input in the discussion of proposed projects. Information discussed during the meetings will be evaluated by each committee to formulate a recommended bond program to be submitted to the City Council by January 31.
For more information on the proposed bond program, see the City’s website at www.sanantonio.gov/2007bond.