Would you love a teeny, tiny chihuahua with attitude? Perhaps you've got the room to bring home a gentle giant like a Great Dane? Got your heart set on a magnificent "mutt"? Maybe you’re looking for a fantastic feline friend? Chances are you’ll find the pet of your dreams at Animal Care Services!
Check out the ACS Adoption Application (.doc).
Are you ready to Adopt?
As the largest open admission shelter in South Texas, ACS takes in hundreds of animals every week—and many of them are in need of forever homes like yours.
How do you know if you are ready to adopt? Consider these questions:
- Do I have time in my life for a new pet?
- Can I see myself owning this pet for the next 10-15 years?
- Can I afford my new pet’s food and annual veterinary care including vaccinations?
- If renting, will my landlord allow me to have a pet?
Common Misconceptions About Pet Ownership
- The kids will take care of the new pet. Perhaps for a week or two and then?
- I've got a backyard. My new dog doesn't need to be walked. Being out in the yard doesn't afford your dog enough exercise or socialization. A nice long walk with you (on a leash) will…and who doesn't need a little more exercise ourselves?
- My pet will stay inside so they don’t need to get their tags, shots, etc, right? Wrong! All pets in San Antonio are required by law to have their City License and rabies shot…at the least. Your vet can fill you in on the numerous reasons why vaccinations and annual exams are a must. You want your best friend to live a healthy, happy life, right?
Don’t forget to ask about our regular adoption specials! All animals adopted from ACS are sterilized, vaccinated*,de-wormed and microchipped. All pets must be sterilized before they can go home with you. Animal Care Services will not knowingly adopt out an intact dog or cat.
*Pets under the age of four months will need to be brought back to receive their rabies shots. No worries! This is included in their adoption fee.
Let’s get a new pet!
So you've thought about it and feel like you’re ready? Come to the shelter or one of our offsite events to meet some of our dogs and cats. Keep an open mind! You never know when you’ll be hit with love at first sight! Check out our Pets Online.
You can also check out our ACS Adoptable Pets Facebook Page.
Our Adoption Counselors and Shelter staff can help you find the perfect pet for your lifestyle. Looking for a fellow couch potato? How about an early morning running partner? Maybe a snuggle buddy? Ask staff to point out some likely candidates.
Once you tour the kennels and find someone you’re interested in, the shelter staff can help you get acquainted with your new friend. Bring in the family (even the four legged members) to meet your prospective pet. Once you've made a decision, head to the ACS Adoption Center to complete your adoption.