Contact: Celeste Alana Brown
SAN ANTONIO (Jan. 12, 2017) — The 50th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. March will take place on Monday, Jan. 15, 2018. The 2.75 mile march will begin at 10 a.m. at the MLK Academy located at 3501 MLK Drive and end at Pittman-Sullivan Park, located at 1101 Iowa St. Immediately following the march, there will be a commemorative program featuring nationally recognized journalist Roland Martin as the keynote speaker. There will also be food booths, music, and activities for all to enjoy. March participants are encouraged to take advantage of VIA Metropolitan Transit’s free park and ride service the morning of the march. More information on parking and road closures can be found below.
Information for VIA Metropolitan Transit Park & Ride:
Passengers may access free VIA park and ride service to the march from 8 to 10 a.m., Monday, at two locations:
• Freeman Coliseum, 3201 E. Houston St. (Lot 1)
• St. Philip’s College, 1801 Martin Luther King Dr. (Lot 22). Lot 22 is at Montana and Mittman streets.
The drop-off point for service to the march will be on MLK Drive, west of Upland Drive. Buses will return passengers to the original pick-up locations from 12 to 3 p.m. Participants may access return service at Pittman-Sullivan Park, 1101 Iowa St.
For more information about bus service on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, call (210) 362-2020 or visit www.VIAinfo.net.
Information on road closures:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. from Hein Rd to Bookertee Rd will be closed from 7:30 a.m. until the MLK march reaches IH-10
- IH-10 Exit Ramps for Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. will be closed from 9:15 a.m. until the MLK march reaches New Braunfels
- Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. from Hein to New Braunfels, New Braunfels from Montana to Aransas, Iowa from New Braunfels to Pine will be closed from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Iowa will remain closed between New Braunfels and Palmetto from 12-4:30 p.m.
- Residents only will be allowed access after 10 a.m. to the following areas:
- Dilworth from New Braunfels to Welhousen
- Harding from New Braunfels to Welhousen
- Nevada from New Braunfels to Connelly
- Dakota from New Braunfels to Connelly
- St. Anthony from Iowa to Virginia
- Palmetto from Virginia to Montana
- MLK Dr. from Piedmont to Palmetto
- Nevada from Piedmont to New Braunfels (VIA Park and Ride)
- Paul from Piedmont to Palmetto
- Dakota from Toledo to New Braunfels (School Bus pickup)
- Wyoming from Toledo to Palmetto
For more information on the events leading up to the march, please visit www.sanantonio.gov/MLK