Parents and guardians interested in enrolling their children in the inaugural class of the City of San Antonio’s Pre-K 4 SA program are invited to attend a series of pre-enrollment events beginning Wednesday, May 1, through Thursday, May 9, at ten convenient locations throughout the city.
Pre-K 4 SA will provide high-quality, full-day prekindergarten education for up to 700 4-year-old children at two Pre K 4 SA Education Centers in the first year of operation. Over the next eight years, it is estimated that more than 22,000 4-year-olds will benefit from the program at four centers and through scholarships to be used in their home school districts or in private schools with a high-quality curriculum.
“San Antonio has set a bold national example by making a citywide investment in the future of our young people,” Mayor Julián Castro said. "We expect interest to skyrocket as parents learn more about how this high-quality program can help put their children on a path to academic success.”
Enrollment is free for 4-year-olds and for those who will be age 4 by Sept. 1, 2013 if they or their families meet at least one of the state eligibility criteria:
- Eligible for free or reduced lunch (is at 185 percent of the federal poverty level)
- English as a Second Language
- Child of activity duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces
- A child’s parent/guardian who was injured, missing in action or killed while serving on active duty of the U.S. Armed forces.
- A child who is temporarily without a home (defined by 42 U.S.C. section 11431)
- Is or has been in foster care
“We encourage all parents of San Antonio and Bexar County who have 4-year-old children and who meet the enrollment criteria to register their children in the free Pre-K 4 SA program that will help them get a leg up on learning and prepare them for success by the time they enter first grade,” said Elaine Mendoza, Pre-K 4 SA board chairperson.
Parents will need to bring the following documents to one of the pre-enrollment fairs.
- Original birth certificate or passport to show that the child will be 4-years-old on or by Sept. 1, 2013.
- Proof of residence (current electric bill, telephone bill, cable bill, apartment lease, “closing papers” from a home purchase).
At the pre-enrollment fair, parents will complete an application to enter a lottery for Pre-K 4 SA. The City of San Antonio will provide information on the next steps needed to participate in the program.
Parents can enroll their child at the following locations and times:
- May 1: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Antioch Sports Complex & Community Center, 314 Eross St.
- May 2: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Miller’s Pond Community Center, 6175 Old Pearsall Rd.
- May 4: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Park Hills Baptist Church, 17747 San Pedro Ave. (281 North)
- May 4: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Harlandale High School, 114 E. Gerald Ave.
- May 6: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Cuellar Park Community Center, 5626 San Fernando St.
- May 6: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Alicia Trevino Lopez Senior Center, 8353 Culebra Rd.
- May 7: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Woodlawn Gymnasium Center, 1103 Cincinnati Ave.
- May 8: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. South San Admin Office Auditorium, 5622 Ray Ellison Dr.
- May 8: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. UTSA 1604 Campus, 1 UTSA Circle, University Center, Ballrooms 1 & 2
- May 9: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Morgan’s Wonderland Event Center, 5223 David Edward Dr.
- May 9: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Second Baptist Church Community Center, 3310 E. Commerce St.
Classes for the program are slated to begin in August and will be offered at two locations: North Center, 3635 Medical Dr., and South Center, 2535 S.E. Military Dr. Each center will enroll 350 students. Of the 700 students at both centers, 10 percent of children can enroll through income-based fees.
“Enrollment for Pre-K 4 SA is not just for children who come from economically-disadvantaged families,” Mendoza said. “Our goal is that all 4-year-old children in San Antonio and Bexar County who meet the criteria be eligible to apply.”
Enrollment, she explained, involves a four-step process: Pre-enroll in May, lottery in June, finalize enrollment in July and notice of qualifying in July/ August. After parents have pre-enrolled their child, 630 slots will be chosen by lottery. Of those children not selected, they will be put on a waiting list. A separate lottery will be held for 70 slots for children whose parents will pay through income-based fees. In July, the 700 children chosen for Pre-K 4 SA will complete enrollment to qualify for classes in August.
For more information, call (210) 207-PREK (7735) or visit sanantonio.gov/pre-k4sa. Parents can also e-mail email@example.com.