In conjunction with his corporate experience, Ray has a longstanding, strong civic commitment including key leadership appoints. He has been elected to several high profile governance positions and in May of 2009 he was elected to the City Council of the City of San Antonio, District 6. He held his first elected position in 1990, when he was elected to the Northside ISD Board of Trustee and served three terms, including Board President. After his NISD position, he was elected to the Board for the Education Service Center, Region 20, where he served until stepping down to run for his current City Council seat.
Councilman Lopez’s current City Council Appointments:
- Economic and Community Development Council Committee (Chair)
- Intergovernmental Relations Council Committee
- High Profile Contracts Accountability Council Committee
- Audit Council Committee
- Metropolitan Planning Organization Transportation Policy Board (Chair)
- Fireman and Police Pension Fund
- Free Trade Alliance
- Lone Star Rail District
- City of San Antonio Regional Business Disparity Coalition
- Community Action Advisory Board
- SA Economic Development Corporation Board
Ray has received recognition for his professional and civic work including being named to AT&T's Leaders Council & Circle of Excellence, recognized by the Hispanic Who's Who in Texas & United States and was inducted to the Harlandale ISD Hall of Fame for his life long work in education and community service.
Ray and his wife Evelyn have four grown children. Besides hobbies of golf, sailing, snow skiing and travel, Ray and Evelyn enjoy spending time with their family and spoiling the grandchildren.
Ray Lopez Media Biography