Published on Wednesday, January 02, 2013
Keep Winter Tips in Mind This Winter
The first freeze of the season has already hit the San Antonio area and the San Antonio Fire Department would like residents to keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Have the central heating system inspected and serviced prior to the season’s first use.
- Have a professional chimney sweep inspect the chimney and fireplace annually for cracks, blockages and leaks. Have it cleaned or repaired as needed.
- Burn only seasoned hardwood in the fireplace. Trash, cardboard boxes and related items burn unevenly and may contain toxins.
- Be sure that the flue (vent) is opened prior to lighting the fireplace.
- Do not use the stove to heat your home.
- Place space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including furniture or curtains. Do not use them to dry clothing.
- Supervise children and pets at all times when space heaters or fireplaces are in use.
- Never use a gas or charcoal grill inside your home or a closed garage.
- Never leave a car with the motor running inside a closed space where exhaust fumes cannot escape.
- Change the batteries in your smoke detectors. They are an early warning device for a fire in your home.
- Test smoke alarms monthly and make sure everyone in your home knows the sound it makes.
- Install and maintain smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors according to manufacturer’s instructions.
For more information, visit the San Antonio Fire Department.
Number of views (24244)