Income tax season has arrived, and with it, free tax preparation for eligible residents through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program.
Individuals and families earning up to $55,000 last year can e-file their basic federal income tax returns at one of 23 different sites across San Antonio through April 15. VITA volunteers are trained and certified by the IRS to prepare and file tax returns at no cost in order to help taxpayers save money on expensive paid preparer fees while helping them obtain eligible tax credits, including the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and education credits.
2013 VITA locations include:
- Ed Cody Branch Library - 11441 Vance Jackson Rd.
- Thousand Oaks Branch Library - 4618 Thousand Oaks Drive
- Goodwill @ San Pedro - 13311 San Pedro
- Goodwill at DeZavala - 12332 W IH-10
- Bazan Branch Library - 2200 W. Commerce
- Forest Hills Branch Library - 5245 Ingram Rd.
- Goodwill @ Fredericksburg - 3401 Fredericksburg Rd.
- Guadalupe Community Ctr. - 1801 Cesar Chavez Blvd.
- Henry A. Guerra Branch Library - 7978 W. Military Dr.
- The Neighborhood Place - 3014 Rivas
- St. Mary’s University, Law Center for Legal and Social Justice - 2507 N.W. 36th St.
- Sul Ross Middle School - 3630 Callaghan Rd.
- YWCA Olga Madrid Center - 503 Castroville Rd.
- ACTN at Claude Black Community Center - 2805 E. Commerce
- Ella Austin Community Center - 1023 N. Pine St.
- St. Philips College, Bowden Bldg., Room 110 - 1801 Martin Luther King Blvd.
- Collins Garden Branch Library - 200 N. Park
- Millers Pond - 6175 Old Pearsall Rd.
- Mission Branch Library - 3134 Roosevelt Ave.
- Palo Alto College, Concho Hall - 1400 W. Villaret
- Presa Community Center - 3721 S. Presa St.
- San Antonio Independent Living Services (SAILS) - 1028 S. Alamo
- University of the Incarnate Word, Administrative Bldg., Room 62 - 4301 Broadway
All taxpayers are required to bring the following with them when visiting a VITA site for free tax preparation:
- Valid photo identification
- Social Security Card(s) or Individual Tax Identification Number(s) (ITIN) for all members/dependents in your family
- All W-2 Forms
- Spouse must be present during preparation to review/sign if filing jointly
- Copy of prior year tax return (if applicable)
- 1099 Forms (if applicable)
Additionally, eligible VITA filers can earn 50 percent matched dollars (up to $500) when they open a SaveUSA match-savings account with $200 or more of their tax refund for at least one year (available at select VITA sites).
For more information on VITA, call the United Way Helpline at 2-1-1 or visit vitasa.org. VITA expects a high volume of business through February and again in April. Taxpayers are encouraged to allow plenty of time and patience when visiting a site for assistance.
The VITA Program is sponsored by the Alamo City Coalition for Economic Self-Sufficiency (ACCESS) and led by the City of San Antonio, United Way of San Antonio & Bexar County, and Catholic Charities of San Antonio.