Parents and guardians interested in pre- enrolling their children in the inaugural class of the City of San Antonio’s Pre-K 4 SA program are invited to attend a series of pre-enrollment events beginning Wednesday, May 1, through Saturday, May 11, at convenient locations throughout the city.
Pre-K 4 SA will provide high-quality, full-day prekindergarten education for up to 700 4-year-old children at two Pre-K 4 SA Education Centers in the first year of operation. Over the next eight years, it is estimated that more than 22,000 4-year-olds will benefit from the program at four centers and through scholarships to be used in their home school districts or in private schools with a high-quality curriculum.
Enrollment is free for 4-year-olds and for those who will be age 4 by Sept. 1 if they or their families meet at least one of the state eligibility criteria:
- Eligible for free or reduced lunch (is at 185 percent of the federal poverty level)
- English as a Second Language
- The child of an active duty member of the U.S. armed forces
- The child of a member of the U.S. armed forces who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
- Is or has been in foster care
Parents can enroll their child at the following locations and times:
- May 1: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Antioch Sports Complex & Community Center, 314 Eross St.
- May 2: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Miller’s Pond Community Center, 6175 Old Pearsall Rd.
- May 4: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Park Hills Baptist Church, 17747 San Pedro Ave. (281 North)
- May 4: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Harlandale High School, 114 E. Gerald Ave.
- May 6: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Cuellar Park Community Center, 5626 San Fernando St.
- May 6: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Alicia Trevino Lopez Senior Center, 8353 Culebra Rd.
- May 7: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Woodlawn Gymnasium Center, 1103 Cincinnati Ave.
- May 8: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. South San Admin Office Auditorium, 5622 Ray Ellison Dr.
- May 8: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. UTSA 1604 Campus, 1 UTSA Circle, University Center, Ballrooms 1 & 2
- May 9: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Morgan’s Wonderland Event Center, 5223 David Edward Dr.
- May 9: 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Second Baptist Church Community Center, 3310 E. Commerce St.
Parents must show proof of residence in San Antonio and Bexar County in order to register. They can bring a CPS Energy, SAWS or Time Warner Cable bill or other utility bill.
Classes for the program are slated to begin in August and will be offered at two locations: North Center, 3635 Medical Dr., and South Center, 2535 SE Military Dr. Each center will enroll 350 students. Of the 700 students at both centers, 10 percent of children can enroll through income-based fees.
Enrollment involves a four-step process: Pre-enroll in May, lottery in June, finalize enrollment in July, and notice of qualifying in July/ August. After parents have pre-enrolled their child, 630 slots will be chosen by lottery. Of those children not selected, they will be put on a waiting list. A separate lottery will be held for 70 slots for children whose parents will pay through income-based fees. In July, the 700 children chosen for Pre-K 4 SA will complete enrollment to qualify for classes in August.
For more information, call (210) 207-PREK (7735) or visit sanantonio.gov/prek4sa. Parents can also e-mail email@example.com.
About Pre-K 4 SA
The Pre-K 4 SA Initiative will provide high–quality, full-day Pre-K for an estimated 22,000 four-year-olds over eight years, including 2,000 who will be served through four Pre-K 4 SA Education Centers. The program will improve teacher professional development for all participating school districts from Pre-K through Grade 3. Pre-K 4 SA also will provide high-quality Pre-K services for an additional 1,700 children through a competitive grant process beginning in the 2016-2017 school year with participating school districts and educational providers.