Alcoholic Beverage / Liquor License
The City levies a fee equal to half the amount of the State license or permit fee on all alcoholic beverage licenses or permits, unless otherwise prohibited by the State. These fees must be paid prior to the sale of alcoholic beverages at a location. The City renewal fee is due by the expiration date of the license, whether or not the State license has been physically received at the location.
The City Fee Receipt must be posted and displayed conspicuously next to the State license or permit. Failure to pay the required fee and display the fee receipt appropriately will result in a warning violation issued by a City Investigator and/or a citation issued by the San Antonio Police Department or other law enforcement official. Non-payment of a local fee may also result in a fine of up to $500 and/or the termination of the State license or permit.
NOTE: Although a State license or permit may be placed in suspense with the State, the City of San Antonio fee must continue to be paid until the license is reactivated at a location outside the City of San Antonio or until the license is terminated.
The Liquor License Fee Schedule provides a list of alcoholic beverage license and permit fees currently due. Exclusion from this list does not invalidate a requirement for a fee.
NOTE: Mixed Beverage fees (Mixed Beverage Permit, Mixed Beverage Late Hours, and/or Caterer’s Permit) are due beginning with the third renewal year. For example, if the Mixed Beverage Permit was originally purchased from the State on October 15, 2012, the City fee is due beginning on October 15, 2015. An exception is the Mixed Beverage Cartage Permit, which is due immediately. In this same example, the mixed beverage cartage permit is due on the origination date of October 15, 2012.
For additional information, please see the City Code Chapter 4 Article I, II, III and/or IV or call 210.207.8660.
Payment Mailing Address
City of San Antonio
PO Box 839975
San Antonio, Texas 78283
Amusement & Coin Operated Machines
All coin-operated amusement machines located in the City of San Antonio are required to display an Occupational Tax Decal issued by the City of San Antonio. The tax is $15 for each machine and is valid from June 1st through May 31st of the following year. The tax is prorated to $7.50 for machines placed in service from December 1st through May 31st.
Machines (working and non-working) placed in locations without first having paid the occupational fee, and not having the decal appropriately affixed to the machine, will be sealed by City of San Antonio Investigators and/or a citation will be issued by the San Antonio Police Department. The full $15 tax is required for all sealed machines, regardless of the date the tax is paid. In addition, a $5 sealing fee will be charged for each machine sealed.
The following guidelines and rules must be adhered to:
- The seal may not be broken by anyone other than a City Investigator. The machine owner and/or location owner will be subject to a fine of up to $500 for breaking or allowing the seal to be broken, or allowing the machine to be operated without having first been cleared by the City Investigator to do so.
- Machines may be sealed for decals that have been torn, removed, or otherwise invalidated, or for those decals not permanently and properly affixed to the machine. A machine may also be sealed if the decal is not displayed in a conspicuous location on the machine. Tape or other non-permanent methods may not be used to attach a decal.
- The owner of the machine is responsible for replacing any decals that have been removed or defaced at the regular price. The City of San Antonio does not sell a replacement decal at a reduced price.
- There is no grace period for the payment of the occupational tax. All machines must have a decal permanently affixed prior to placing the machine in a location available for use by the public or employees.
- All coin-operated amusement machines located in the City of San Antonio displaying a State of Texas Amusement Machine license are required to have a City of San Antonio decal attached.
- Coin decal reminders are not mailed. Owners and operators are responsible for paying the appropriate fees by the due date.
The Coin-Operated Amusement Machine Licensing pamphlet and City Code Article III provide information about the City’s guidelines and policies regarding the purchase and placement of decals on coin-operated amusement machines. For additional information, please call 210.207.8660 or contact the Compliance and Resolution Group.
Payment Mailing Address
City of San Antonio
PO Box 839975
San Antonio, Texas 78283
The Peddler’s/Canvasser’s License application should be used by anyone who wants to peddle or canvas in the City of San Antonio.
NOTE: This application is not applicable for peddling food and/or beverages for human consumption. For more information on food permits, please contact the Health Department at 210.207.8853.
Applicants for license shall file a written sworn application with the San Antonio Police Department at least five (5) days prior to the date of the initial contemplated sale. The applicant shall state the description and license plate number of any vehicles intended to be operated in connection with this license.
The application must be completely filled in by the applicant at the San Antonio Police Department, 315 South Santa Rosa, at which time a background check will be performed on the applicant. A $25 fee will be charged for the background check.
Only applicants that have been cleared by the San Antonio Police Department will hand-carry application to the City of San Antonio Finance Department, 111 Soledad, Fourth Floor, to complete the permit process.
License is valid for one (1) year from date of purchase.
TRANSFER OF LICENSE
Licenses are not transferable and the authority of a license shall be conferred only on the licensee named thereon.
AFFIDAVIT – PRIVATE PROPERTY
Licensee shall obtain a signed and notarized affidavit from the owner of private real property prior to peddling on private property under this code. The information on the affidavit shall be printed and shall be complete with all information requested and signed by the owner of the real property or other authorized person and shall be duly notarized. Licensees peddling on private property without required affidavit or with affidavit missing required information shall be subject to the penalty of a misdemeanor and shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars ($500).
Except as otherwise allowed by the code, it shall be unlawful for any person other than the actual real property owner to use a license issued under Article 16 to peddle on any portion of privately owned real property more than three (3) times within any thirty (30) day period, regardless of authorization by the real property owner. For the purpose of this subsection, all usage within a twenty-four (24)-hour day shall be counted as one (1) use.
Sale of flowers shall not be subject to “frequency of use restrictions on Castroville Road between S. Gen. McMullen and Inca Street” three (3) days before and three (3) days after on the following days:
- Valentine’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, All Souls’ Day and All Saints’ Day; vendor must have authorization (affidavit) from the real property owner for such use as required by code.
PROHIBITED AREAS – TIME OF DAY
With this license, it is unlawful for any person to peddle, canvass or solicit any tangible property or service on the grounds of the City of San Antonio municipally-owned property, including public streets, public right of way or public sidewalks. Peddler’s licenses are preempted by other permits in the Alamodome Area, Market Square and within the Downtown Business District. It shall be unlawful to peddle, canvass or solicit on sidewalks and at public places between the hours of 11:00 pm and 8:00 am or door-to-door at private residences between the hours of 8:00 pm and 8:00 am.
- Foot Peddler - $120.00
- Truck Peddler - $180.00
- Canvasser - $60.00
- Print the Peddler's/Canvasser's License Application (pdf)
- Complete and review the Application carefully
- Date and sign the Application
- Take the Application to the San Antonio Police Department, 315 South Santa Rosa, for a Background Check
- If approved, bring the Application (same day), with payment and identification to Finance Department, 111 Soledad, Riverview Towers, Fourth Floor
For assistance, please call 210.207.8690.