Day Care Facilities and Custodial Care Facilities
If you have a complaint about care of children in day care centers, playgrounds at day care centers, or want to know where to find a child care center, visit the Search Texas Child Care section of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services or call the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services (TDPRS) at 210.337.3399. You can also find TDPRS inspection results at the agency's web site link above.
If the nature of your complaint is specifically about food preparation or general sanitation at child care facilities, you may call us at 210.207.8853 or email us at email@example.com. We will respond to your complaint within two business days.
City Ordinances about Day Care facilities
Child care is covered under Chapter 15, Health, Article IX Regulation of Child Care Facilities in the City Code.
Residential Foster Care Inspection Requirements
- Complete and submit an application form and pay fee in person at the Development and Business Services Center located at 1901 S. Alamo, M-F, 7:45am-4:30pm.
- Foster inspections are conducted on Mondays and Fridays. The applicant will be contacted by the Sanitarian prior to arriving.
- Prepare for the inspection by complying with the requirements listed below. Failure to comply at the time of the inspection will result in being re-charged for each additional inspection.
Foster Care Inspection Checklist:
Building Interior and Exterior
- Windows, doors and screens must be in serviceable condition.
- Outside doors must be tight-fitting.
- Hot and cold water, under pressure, shall be available at water using facilities.
- All faucets shall be of the mixer type design with the exception of outdoor faucets.
- Grab bars in showers and at tub and toilet are required for Adult Foster Homes.
- Outside hose hook-ups or other threaded faucets must have backflow preventers (anti-siphoning devices/vacuum breakers).
- Accurate thermometer must be available at all refrigerator/s. Foods must be maintained at 41F or below (recommended ambient temperature is 38F to 40F).
- Freezer must maintain food products in a frozen state.
If caring for children in diapers:
- A diaper changing area close to a sink, one that is not used for food preparation, with hot and cold water must be accessible.
- Diaper changing pad must be in good condition.
- The sanitizing solution for diaper changing pad/table must be prepared by mixing ¼ cup of bleach per gallon of water.
- All supplies needed for diaper changing (powder, etc.) must be at the diaper changing area.
- Proper hand washing techniques must be used before and after diaper changing.
- A basic first-aid kit must be kept.
- All pets must be vaccinated. Paperwork/written license for rabies vaccination must be presented.
- Playground/play equipment must be in good repair and free of hazards.
- The yard must be well kept. All harborage for mice, rats, ants, etc. must be removed (ex: tires, high weeds, standing water, junk cars, and miscellaneous rubbish).
- Fences must be in good repair.
Food Establishments & Institutions Overview