Day Care Facilities and Custodial Care Facilities
If you have a complaint about care of children in day care centers, playgrounds at day care centers, or want to know where to find a child care center, visit the Search Texas Child Care section of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services or call the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services (TDPRS) at 210.337.3399. You can also find TDPRS inspection results at the agency's web site link above.
If the nature of your complaint is specifically about food preparation or general sanitation at child care facilities, you may call us at 210.207.8853 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your complaint within two business days.
City Ordinances about Day Care facilities
Child care is covered under Chapter 15, Health, Article IX Regulation of Child Care Facilities in the City Code.
Residential Foster Care Inspection Requirements
An application must be completed, submitted and the fee be paid at the Claude Black Community Center, located at 2805 E. Commerce, before an inspection will be scheduled. The inspector will contact the applicant and an appointment will be made to perform the inspection at the earliest convenient time. Call 210.207.8853 for additional information.
Information required is as follows:
- Business name and address, telephone number, type of foster care (children or adults) and name of licensing agency.
- Children cared for should have all required immunizations for their respective age groups.
- All pets must be vaccinated.
- Paperwork/written license for rabies vaccination must be presented upon request. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE!
- The building including windows and screens must be in a serviceable condition.
- Doors must be tight fitting.
- Hot and cold water, under pressure, shall be available at water using facilities.
- All faucets shall be of the mixer type design with the exception of outdoor faucets.
- Refrigerator must maintain a temperature of 41º Fahrenheit or less (recommend temperature: 38ºF to 40ºF).
- Freezer must maintain food products in a frozen state.
- Accurate thermometers for both refrigerator and freezer must be provided.
- Cutting boards must be of hardwood or food grade plastic.
- An approved water source or bottled water from an approved source must be provided.
- If children in diapers are to be taken care of, a diaper changing area close to a sink, one that is not used for food preparation, with hot and cold water is needed. Diaper changing pad must be in good condition.
- The sanitizing solution at diaper changing area must be at 50 to 100 ppm (parts per million).
- All supplies needed for diaper changing (powder, etc.) must be at diaper changing area.
- Proper hand washing techniques must be used before and after diaper changing.
- A basic first-aid kit must be kept.
- Grab bars in showers and at tub and toilet are required for elderly residents.
- Backflow preventers (anti-siphoning devices) must be installed at all outside hose hook-ups or other threaded faucets. Backflow preventers can be purchased at most building supply stores and at plumbing supply stores.
- The yard must be well kept.
- Fences must be in good repair.
- All harborage for mice, rats, ants, etc. must be removed (EX: OLD TIRES, HIGH WEEDS, STANDING WATER, JUNK CARS, AND MISCELLANEOUS RUBBISH).
- Playground must be in good repair and free of hazards.
Food Establishments & Institutions Overview