San Antonio parks offer our residents the opportunity to enjoy quality time with their family and friends in the great outdoors. Pack a picnic lunch and head out to the park to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine today.
Alcohol is prohibited, all amenities are first come, first serve.
Programs & Classes
Use the button below to view and register for classes at this location.
If there are no results for classes at this location, a list of classes, programs, and activities at alternate locations will be provided.
View & Register for Classes
Si necesita asistencia en español para inscribirse en clases o necesita información sobre nuestros programas llame al 210-207-3047.
Dignowity Park is east of downtown on "Dignowity Hill" -- land once owned by Dr. Anthony M. Dignowity, a Czech immigrant who made San Antonio his home in 1846. He stopped in San Antonio on his way to fight in the U.S.-Mexican War, and stayed after seeing that the city needed a doctor. Dr. Dignowity became a prominent physician and invested in real estate, mainly on the city's east side.
In 1854, he and his wife, Amanda, built a large stone house on the highest hill east of town, naming it "Harmony House." Like many San Antonians, Dr. Dignowity opposed slavery and was nearly killed by Confederates. He spent the Civil War years away from Texas, and then returned to San Antonio where he died in 1875. Amanda Dignowity continued to sell real estate and live in Harmony House until her death in 1907. After the property was acquired for a City park, the house was demolished in 1926.
The land was not formally dedicated as a park, however, and was sold in 1948 for construction of Baptist Memorial Hospital. Three years later, the city repurchased it, and in 1952, the land was finally dedicated for "park and recreation purposes only" and officially named Dignowity Park.