In the Pool
San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department will hire more than 200 lifeguards
to serve the public at municipal swimming pools. The starting pay is $10 an
hour. Applicants should be Red Cross Certified. If not, Certification
Classes will begin at the San Antonio Natatorium in November. For more
information, please call 207-3299.
Natatorium Swim Lessons & Aquafit Classes
Group swimming lessons are offered at the Natatorium for youth ages 4 and up as well as adults. Lessons are designed for beginning and intermediate skill levels. Group swimming lessons include six lessons offered over a two week period. Session dates and times are available vary and are available on our registration site.
View & Register for Classes
Individual Lesson $50.00 per session (Four 30 minutes classes)
Group Lessons $30.00 per session (School Age and above six 45 minutes classes)
(Pre-School Age 4-5 years six 30 minutes classes)
Aqua Fit Programs:
5:45 pm-6:30 pm AQUA MOTION Monday thru Thursday ($40.00 per month)
6:45 pm-7:30 pm AQUA ZUMBA Monday thru Thursday ($40.00 per month)
11:30 am-12:30 pm BOOTCAMP (free) Tuesday and Thursday (Must be able to swim)
Medium to Intense in and out of water fitness exercises.
For More information on any of these programs please contact the San Antonio Natatorium at 210-207-3299 or e-mail Josh Zammit at Josh.Zammit@sanantonio.gov
Outdoor Group Swimming Lessons
Being able to swim is an important safety skill for every child an adult to have. Swimming is great exercise and it's a fun activity that can occupy children all summer long. Once again the City of San Antonio Parks and Recreation will be offering free Swim Lessons.
Swimming Lesson FAQ for Parents
The San Antonio Parks Foundation is sponsoring free swimming lessons for summer 2017. Swimming lessons will be offered free at all outdoor pool locations.
- June 20, to June 29, 2017 Week 1: Tues, Wed, Thurs; Week 2: Tues, Wed, Thurs
- July 11, to July 20, 2017 Week 1: Tues, Wed, Thurs; Week 2: Tues, Wed, Thurs
- July 25, to August 3, 2017 Week 1: Tues, Wed, Thurs; Week 2: Tues, Wed, Thurs
(Make up days due to weather or unforeseen circumstances will be made up on the Friday of the same week)
*Due to the World’s Largest Swim Lesson, the pools with an asterisk above will not have morning lesson on Thursday June 22. These lessons will be scheduled for Friday, June 23 at their regular scheduled times. We will also highly encourage swim lesson participants to attend the WLSL as an extra free lesson.
Swim Lesson Space Availability as of 5-20-17
Registration will be conducted at the San Antonio Natatorium (located at 1430 W. Cesar E. Chavez Boulevard) during regular business hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am to 8:00pm; Saturday 11:00am - 6:00pm.
Registration is held on a first come first serve basis until spaces are full at each pool location.
- Participants must be at least 4 years of age or older.
- Pre-School Age (4-5); School-Age (6-12); Adult (13+).
- Participants may only be enrolled in one lesson session (2-weeks) at a time.
- Waiting lists will be established once a session (2-weeks) is full.
- Participants must be present for the first day of the session or they will forfeit lessons and the next individual on the waiting list will be contacted.
- On June 10th All registration will be moved to the individual pools during their normal operating hours
- After lessons have started if additional spaces are available, then participants may register for an additional session as follows:
- June 27th – For session beginning July 11th
- July 11th – For session beginning July 18th
A competitive youth swim program is offered at all 23 outdoor pool locations during the outdoor pool season. There is a one-time registration fee of $10 per child, which includes a t-shirt. Participants practice Tuesday - Friday in order to compete against other pools in three weekend meets. The San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department is a member of the Texas Amateur Athletic Federation (TAAF) which is a non-profit organization established in 1925 to promote and organize amateur athletics in the state of Texas. Winners from the regional swim meet will qualify to go to the state level TAAF swim meet.
Registration for swim teams will be held at individual pool sites starting Saturday, June 11.
Contact Telephone Numbers for Outdoor Pools
JOE WARD 732-7350
NEW TERRITORIES 681-2929
SAN PEDRO 732-5992
SOUTH SIDE LIONS 532-2027
SUNSET HILLS 435-4011
Other Information Links: