As the City prepares for the second year of Pre-K 4 SA classes, 1,500 students have been selected by lottery to enroll in the 2014-2015 academic year. All available classroom spots for Pre-K 4 SA’s 2014 fall semester will be filled, demonstrating the continued need for a high-quality pre-kindergarten program in San Antonio. Additionally, 1,700 students have been placed on a wait list.
Acceptance letters and registration packets will be mailed out this week. Every family that applied will receive a letter acknowledging their acceptance or waitlist status.
More than 3,200 San Antonio families—twice the number than in 2013—applied for their children to participate in the full-day program when the school year begins in August at the four Education Centers, including the new West and East Education Centers.
“The need for the kind of enriched and interactive curriculum that is offered by our master teachers and staff has been underscored by the high interest among applicants from throughout San Antonio for the new academic year,” said CEO Kathy Bruck. “We are reminded of this great opportunity to reach the city’s youngest learners and put them on an early path toward a higher education.”
Applications for the new school year were accepted through June 8. An electronic lottery conducted on June 10 selected from eligible applicants to fill the 1,500 available spots. Families who applied but were not selected in the June 10 lottery will be placed on a secondary list and contacted if a spot becomes available Aug. 25, 2014.
As designed, 90 percent of all students are state eligible and the remaining 10 percent are on a sliding scale tuition scale. “Pre-K 4 SA leadership is excited about the strength of the partnership with the participating school districts that account for 90 percent of the students,” said Bruck.