Parents have another opportunity to pre-enroll their children in the City of San Antonio’s Pre-K 4 SA program during the pre-enrollment fair from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, June 6 in the auditorium of the Central Library, 600 Soledad St.
“This is a good opportunity for parents to pre-enroll their children in Pre-K 4 SA before the June 10 lottery,” said Kathy Bruck, Pre-K4 SA Interim CEO.
Parking at the Central Library for the pre-enrollment fair will be free, Bruck added.
Pre-K 4 SA will provide high-quality, full-day prekindergarten education for up to 700 4-year-old children at two Pre K 4 SA Education Centers in the first year of operation. Over the next eight years, it is estimated that more than 22,000 4-year-olds will benefit from the program at four centers and through scholarships to be used in their home school districts or in private schools with a high-quality curriculum.
Enrollment is free for 4-year-olds and for those who will be age 4 by Sept. 1, 2013 if they or their families meet at least one of the state eligibility criteria:
- Eligible for free or reduced lunch (is at 185 percent of the federal poverty level)
- English as a Second Language
- Child of activity duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces
- A child’s parent/guardian who was injured, missing in action or killed while serving on active duty of the U.S. Armed forces.
- A child who is temporarily without a home (defined by 42 U.S.C. section 11431)
- Is or has been in foster care
Parents will need to bring the following documents to one of the pre-enrollment fairs.
- Original birth certificate or passport to show that the child will be 4-years-old on or by Sept. 1, 2013.
- Proof of residence (current electric bill, telephone bill, cable bill, apartment lease, “closing papers” from a home purchase).
After the June 6 pre-enrollment fair, 630 slots will be chosen by lottery, which begins Monday, June 10. The students not selected will be put on a waiting list. A separate lottery will be held for 70 slots for children whose parents will pay through income-based fees. In July, the 700 children selected for Pre-K 4 SA will complete their enrollment to qualify for classes in August.
Classes begin August 26 at two locations: North Center, 3635 Medical Dr., and South Center, 2535 SE Military Dr. Each center will enroll 350 students. Of the 700 students at both centers, 10 percent of children can enroll through income-based fees.
For more information, call (210) 207-PREK (7735) or visit sanantonio.gov/pre-k4sa
. Parents can also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org