** The application period for the World Heritage Neighborhood Leadership Academy has closed and we are no longer accepting applications for 2017 **
The City of San Antonio’s World Heritage Neighborhood Leadership Academy (WHNLA) serves as a conduit to provide San Antonians with an in-depth overview of how their local government works. The goal of the WHNLA is to educate community participants about City services and processes, neighborhood leadership, branding and communication, updates on World Heritage initiatives, and encourage coordination with the City of San Antonio to help preserve and protect the San Antonio Missions.
The WHNLA is a 4-month evening course program; there will be a total of five sessions. All sessions begin at 5:30 p.m. and end no later than 8:00 p.m. Participants are encouraged to attend all session courses to obtain a Certificate of Completion from the City of San Antonio. Participants that miss more than two classes will be dropped from the program.
There are five core goals that will be met through the WHNLA:
- Provide an understanding and knowledge of City services and processes.
- Develop neighborhood leaders.
- Encourage neighborhood engagement in decision making processes.
- Generate ideas around inclusive community building and the role of the neighborhood association.
- Develop participants into City ambassadors to share information on how their City government works for them.
Potential candidates must meet the following criteria for admission to the WHNLA:
- Minimum age of 18 years
- Resident of San Antonio, Texas
- Presently not serving in an official City capacity, such as a City board, commission, or an elected official
- Must complete and submit a WHNLA application by deadline
- Application period begins on April 1, 2017
- Deadline to submit an application: May 15, 2017
- Selection of participants: June 1, 2017
- WHNLA begins July 26, 2017
(Deadline to submit an application is May 15, 2017)
NOTE: Please use Internet Explorer to access application.
- Complete, and save your application form
- Attach the saved form to an email and send to:
WorldHeritage@sanantonio.gov, Subject: World Heritage Leadership Academy
Hand Delivery Mail:
- Complete, print, and sign your application
- Mail to:
World Heritage Office
100 W. Houston St., 19th Floor
San Antonio, TX 78205
The WHNLA will consist of a four-month evening course program, featuring five sessions focusing on local government, civic engagement, and neighborhood leadership. Below is the schedule of the sessions for the WHNLA:
|July 26, 2017
How the City Works: A Comprehensive Look into Your Local Government
|Municipal Plaza, B Room
|August 22, 2017
How the City Works: Delivering Your City Services
|Carver Cultural Arts Theatre, Little Caver Civic Center
|September 12, 2017
How the City Works: Understanding the Process
|Stinson Municipal Airport
|September 19, 2017
Neighborhood Association Leadership: A Legacy for Generations to Come
|Mission Branch Library
|October 17, 2017
The Best Us: Communication & Branding
|Alamo Beer Company
|November 15, 2017
|Graduation & City Council Recognition
||City Council Chamber
Questions & Information
For questions regarding the World Heritage Neighborhood Leadership Academy, please contact the World Heritage Office.
World Heritage Office
100 W. Houston Street, 19th Floor
San Antonio, Texas 78205