“The City of San Antonio is proud to partner with Star Shuttle. Now that we have an official transportation company on board, Pre-K 4 SA is one step closer to getting started as classes will begin August 26,” said City Manager Sheryl Sculley. “One of the reasons we chose Star Shuttle is because the company is a local and smaller company committed to providing the best transportation services to our children. The safety of our 4-year-olds is of the utmost importance and priority.”
Star Shuttle has operated transportation services for more than 50 years, 21 of those based in San Antonio, and employs more than 250 people. Star Shuttle has 11 years of Texas school bus service experience and has had a transit contract with VIA Transit for 21 years.
All drivers and bus aides will undergo a thorough background check, and they will have a Texas School Bus Driver Safety Training Certificate. In addition, video cameras, recording devices, and stringent safety and maintenance standards will be required for all Star Shuttle buses.
Star Shuttle’s fleet of brand new buses will be driven by highly-skilled drivers and feature child restraint seats. The company employs drivers full-time leading to high driver retention, as opposed to many national firms who often employ drivers only part time.
“We hope parents will ride with their children on the bus during August and September because we believe that it’s important to have the full support of parents in order for Pre-K 4 SA to succeed,” said Richard Perez, Operational Services Committee Chairman for Pre-K4 SA Board of Directors. “And knowing 4-year-olds, we know they’ll be happy to have their parents come with them to school.”
An estimated 50 percent of Pre-K 4 SA students will use the free bus service. Star Shuttle will provide service to and from about 10 pick-up/drop-off depots. Bus aides will supervise children at the pick-up/drop-off locations and on buses.
Registration for pre-enrollment in the City of San Antonio’s Pre-K 4 SA program continues until May 31 at the following locations:
- Cortez Branch Library: Noon to 5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; noon to 7 p.m. Tuesday, 2803 Hunter Blvd.
- Maverick Library: Noon to 5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; noon to 7 p.m. Tuesday, 8700 Mystic Park
- Mission Library: Noon to 5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; noon to 7 p.m. Tuesday, 3134 Roosevelt Ave.
- Willie Velasquez Learning Center: Noon to 5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; noon to 7 p.m. Tuesday, 1302 N. Zarzamora
- Claude Black Community Center: Noon to 5 p.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday; noon to 7 p.m. Wednesday, 2805 E. Commerce St.
- Thousand Oaks Library: Noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; noon to 7 p.m. Monday , 4618 Thousand Oaks
For more information, call (210) 207-PREK (7735) or visit sanantonio.gov/prek4sa. Parents can also email@example.com.