Office of Historic Preservation
Phone: (210) 215-9274
The former Lone Star Brewery complex was constructed between 1895 and 1904 by the St. Louis architectural firm of E. Jungenfeld and Co., who had designed all of the Anheuser-Busch brewery facilities in St. Louis, MO, along with local San Antonio architects James Wahrenberger and Albert Felix Beckman. The Lone Star Brewing Company was established in 1883 by San Antonio businessmen John Henry Kampmann and Edward Hope on Jones Avenue (at that time called Grand Avenue). The facility was close to the Sunset Depot on the city’s near east side for easy rail transport.
By 1900 the company had greatly increased operations with
distribution throughout the state and soon became the largest
brewery in Texas. To keep up with demand, large-scale
additions were undertaken, and many new brick buildings were
designed to replace older wooden structures. Adolphus
Busch, of the St. Louis Anheuser-Busch brewing empire, was
involved financially in the Lone Star Brewing Company and served
as President for a number of years during this time of
expansion. The company continued to thrive until Prohibition,
when operations were converted to the manufacture of "Tango," a
non-alcoholic drink. Throughout the mid-twentieth century, the
facility was largely utilized for warehouse and storage
Excerpted from National Register Nomination: Old Lone Star Brewery, 1972. Texas Historical Commission.