Office of Historic Preservation
Phone: (210) 215-9274
Olmos Park Terrace is an early twentieth-century subdivision
located north of downtown. The district is bounded
by Lovera, San Pedro, Hermosa and Thorain Boulevards, Belknap, Howard Street, and
The area was originally platted in 1931 by the Northside
Improvement Company, with developer H.C. Thorman as president.
Homes were offered for sale at a starting price of $3,600.
Due to the stock market crash of 1929 and the ensuing Great
Depression, initial construction was slow. Sanborn Fire
Insurance Maps indicate that in 1935 only four streets were
developed. By 1938, the remaining four streets were
included in the map index. According to Thorman’s nephew, many
of the streets were named by H.C. Thorman with variations of the
developer’s own name. By 1937, plans were developed to
build an additional 100 houses in Olmos Park Terrace.