Office of Historic Preservation
Phone: (210) 215-9274
Woodlawn Lake Park has not always been Woodlawn Lake or a
city park. In 1887 General W. Russ, F. H. Brown and W. P.
Anderson acquired 1000 acres of land, which is now the lake and
surrounding neighborhood and was known as "Maverick’s Pasture".
Under the title of the West End Town Company these men began to
develop what would become the first subdivision of this type
outside the city limits of San Antonio.
Tough financial times in 1894 resulted in the West End Town
Company borrowing money from Julia Anderson and F. H. Baldwin.
In time, the Company defaulted on the loans prompting a
foreclosure on the property. Subsequently Ms. Anderson and Mr.
Baldwin leased the lake and adjacent land to the Peacock School
for Boys until 1910.
Development of the surrounding neighborhood and construction of
paved streets caused more drainage and silt to go into the lake.
Several dredging projects have taken place to restore the lake
depth. The WPA (Works Progress Administration) dredged the lake
in the late 1930s. The Army Corps of Engineers dredged the lake
in 1960. The current spillway and dam were built as part of the
1970 dredge project. During the 1981 project, the lake was
drained for almost two years while the city coordinated efforts
to dredge the lake to a depth of six feet. The jogging track was
added at this time. In 2000 Woodlawn Lake was designated as a
local historic district.
Information found in the Woodlawn Lake Park Conceptual Master Plan, Prepared for the San Antonio Parks & Recreation Department by Ford, Powell & Carson, Inc. February 1997.