HR Logo
Header FAQ's


HR Department


Frequently Asked Questions – Workers’ Compensation

If I get injured to whom do I report my injury or accident?

You are required to report your injury or accident to your immediate supervisor as soon as possible.     

What if I need to see a doctor? 

You have the right to choose any doctor who will accept Workers’ Compensation.  We encourage all employees to seek medical treatment through the City’s Employee Health & Wellness Center.  This is a fully staffed medical facility that serves employees of the City of San Antonio only. 

If I have a question about my workers’ compensation claim, who do I contact?

You may contact the City’s third-party administrator, TRISTAR Risk Management Services, at (210) 404-0400.

What is the Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation?

This is a state-funded Agency.  Their responsibilities are to:

    • Promote safe and healthy workplaces;
    • Provide customers with information about their rights and responsibilities;
    • Ensure the delivery of appropriate benefits;
    • Ensure appropriate and efficient health care for all injured employees and fair and reasonable reimbursement for health care providers;
    • Assist in timely returning injured workers to productive roles in the Texas workforce;
    • Assist in resolving disputes between the employer and employee.   

The Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation has a local office at 9514 Console Drive, Ste. 200, San Antonio, TX 78229.  Their phone number is (210) 593-0070.  (

If I know someone may be committing fraud (a person knowingly or intentionally conceals, misrepresents, and makes a false statement to obtain workers' compensation benefits) what do I do? 

Please call our Workers’ Compensation Fraud Hotline at (210) 207-7555.  You will remain anonymous. 


Frequently Asked Questions – Liability Section

How do I file a claim against the City?

Click on the “Claim Form” link and follow the directions on the form.  All claims against the City must originate from the City Clerk’s office.

What happens after I file a claim with the City Clerk’s Office?

The City’s Office of Risk Management will retrieve your Claim Form, enter it into our system, and forward it to our third-party administrator, TRISTAR Risk Management Services, who will investigate and evaluate your claim on the City’s behalf.  You should receive a call from TRISTAR Risk Management Services within 5-7 days of filing a claim.  

What if I am involved in an accident while driving a City vehicle? 

All accidents involving City vehicles, whether on duty or not, must be reported to the police and your supervisor immediately. 

What if a police officer asks for proof of insurance?

If you are driving your personal vehicle, show the police your personal insurance card.  If you are driving a City vehicle, show the police the self-insured information card located in the glove compartment.