HR Logo
Header FAQ's
Main Menu

HR Department

EEO Complaint Process

If I believe I am a victim of Discrimination or Harassment/Sexual Harassment, should I file a formal EEO Complaint?  What is the best option for me?

Think about your goals and how you answer these questions:
Are you comfortable discussing the complaint or concern with your supervisor or other administrator?

  • These individuals may be in the best position to help you resolve your EEO concern most quickly.

Have you discussed the issues with the Human Resource Generalist for your department?

  • Your department's Human Resources Generalist will probably be most familiar with your work situation and be able to assist you quickly and informally. 

Do you want a complete investigation by a neutral third party?

  • The EEO Office will conduct a formal investigation or assist with resolution of your complaint.

What if I am not sure if my complaint is a violation of the City’s EEO Policy?

  • Your Department’s Human Resources Generalist can be of help to you OR you can contact the EEO Office.  You will be asked how the incident violates the City’s EEO Policy.

What information do I need to provide when I file a complaint under COSA EEO Policy?

  • You will need to describe the incident that you believe resulted in different treatment based on one or more protected categories, the relief you are seeking, and the reasons given to you by the authorized person explaining the incident or employment action.

  • In addition, you should provide names of witnesses and/or documents that may support your claim and names of other individuals in the same or similar situation who were treated differently. 

  • Remember, incidents of sexual harassment or harassment based on a protected category should be reported immediately to a non-involved supervisor, administrator, HR Generalist, or EEO Office.  

Will my information be kept confidential?

  • Information is released to authorized individuals only as required or permitted by law on a need-to-know basis only.

What happens if someone retaliates against me for being a witness or filing a complaint?

Whom may I contact for additional information or to file the complaint?

You may contact the lowest level non-involved supervisor, EEO Counselor for your Department, HR Generalist assigned to your Department, or EEO Office. 

In addition, you may contact the Federal Agency:  U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) – Division of Civil Rights. 

For additional information, call the EEO Office at (210) 207-8769 / (210) 207- 8425 or send an email to