Universal Housing Design in San Antonio, Texas
Universal Housing incorporates 7 specific design features into all new homes constructed with City of San Antonio financial assistance. (Ordinance No. 95641, April 2002).
At least one no-step entrance with 36 inch door.
Lever door handles on all doors and plumbing fixtures
Location of electrical controls between 48 and 15 inches above the finished floor
Accessible route to the public right of way streets and sidewalks
Minimum 32 inch wide interior doors
Minimum 36 inch wide hallways
All bathroom walls reinforced around toilet and shower / tub for future installation of grab bars
Who Benefits from a universally designed home
- Small children and grandparents
- People with temporary or permanent disabilities
- People who with to remain in their homes as they age
- Furniture and appliance movers (moving day)
- Visitors with mobility problems
- And many others...