Household Hazardous Waste Overview
Dispose properly of household hazardous waste (HHW), such as oil, paint, pesticides, anti-freeze, batteries, and household cleaners by taking them to the City's HHW Drop-Off Center. The City also provides customers convenient opportunities throughout the year to dispose of household hazardous waste through a seasonal HHW facility and mobile collection sites located citywide.
The HHW sites are free for City of San Antonio solid waste customers who pay an environmental fee; this fee appears on the CPS bill.
Note: In order for residents to use an HHW facility to dispose of hazardous material at no cost, customers must bring a recent copy of their CPS bill and a picture ID as proof of residency.
Guidelines for disposing of HHW:
- Keep contents in the original container.
- If the container leaks, transfer contents to a safe container and label the new container to correctly identify it.
- If the contents cannot be safely transferred, double bag the old container in heavy duty garbage bags.
- Do not mix different materials in the same container.
- Place all items to be disposed of in a box and place them in the trunk or truck bed when taking to an HHW facility.
- Do not dispose of HHW in the garbage cart or pour it on the ground, down the drain or storm sewers.
MedDropSA offers a safe and easy way to dispose of unwanted and expired over-the-counter and prescription medications.