Volunteer - Get Involved!
We are always in need of animal lovers who can volunteer their time to bathe, groom, walk and socialize with our furry companions. However, we also need volunteers to help in other ways as well; including groundwork, administrative work, off-site events, photography, laundry and much, much more. Volunteers enable us to give our animals the care and attention they need and deserve. We could not do it without their help!
If you are interested in volunteering, please complete the Volunteer Application. When you application is received, the Volunteer Coordinator will contact you by email with the upcoming orientation dates. Orientations last approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
All onsite volunteers must complete a background check. The following offenses will exclude you from our volunteer program:
- Any offense relating to theft, burglary, fraud, arson, or breaking and entering
- Any drug-related offense
- Any violent offense, including, but not limited to:
- Animal Cruelty
- Assault and Battery
- Household Assault
- Injury to a Child
- Domestic Violence
Already an ACS Volunteer? Please login to Get Connected to log hours, view shifts and respond to volunteer needs: https://sanantonio.galaxydigital.com/user/login/
- Volunteer positions available in most areas of the on-site as well as off-site events (Off-Site Adoption Events, ACS Mascots, Satellite Cat Adoption Centers, Community Education Events, etc.)
- Upcoming orientation dates are sent by e-mail; RSVP is required to attend.
- Volunteers ages 10-11 can volunteer at off-site events except for *blockwalks which require volunteers 15 and up. Volunteers of 15-16 years of age can blockwalk with an accompanying parent or guardian.
- Minimum age to volunteer on-site is 12 years old.
- Volunteers ages 12-15 must have a parent volunteer with them.
- Volunteers age 16-17 can volunteer on their own with parental consent.
- Extra training provided for certain tasks.
- $10 suggested donation covers T-shirt, nametag, ACS lanyard, etc.
Community Service Volunteering
We do not currently have a separate community service program at ACS. However, if you are able to commit to the minimum time requirements for regular volunteering (3 months minimum, 3 times a month), you may sign up to become an onsite volunteer and, if approved, your volunteer time will count toward your community service hours.
Group Volunteer Activities and Tours
- Blockwalks: Volunteers at blockwalks pass out flyers to residents of San Antonio in need of free or low-cost services. Great opportunity for school, church, community groups to make a difference! Please contact the ACS Education & Outreach Team for upcoming dates & times. *Please see age guidelines above for ACS blockwalks. Owned pets, bicycles, strollers, infants in carriers or any children under 15 are NOT allowed on blockwalks in any circumstances.
- Comfort for Critters: Volunteers make blankets and toys for pets in foster care. Held the 1st Sunday of every month. Please RSVP with the Volunteer Coordinator if planning to attend.
- Group Tours/One-Time Group Projects: If you have a group that would like a tour of our facility or that would like to volunteer for a one-time community project, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org along with a completed Group Volunteer Application. A minimum of two weeks advance notice required to schedule a group. Please note that our weekend dates book up 1-2 months in advance. We can accommodate most groups with 12 volunteers or fewer, although we may have special projects available for larger groups onsite or offsite from time to time. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator for more information. Be advised that, because of safety issues with our pets and your group, there may be little to no interaction with animals for large scale group projects.
There is a great need for individual and corporate sponsorships (financial or in-kind) for advertising through mediums such as billboards, marquees, bus ads, newspaper/magazine ads, television/radio ads, and movie theater ads. Ads on items such as store receipts, soda bottles/cans, and convenience store displays also would be of great benefit.
Sponsorships for marketing items that would create "walking message billboards" also are highly encouraged. Dog/cat collars, leashes, collapsible water bowls, and t-shirts for both the four-legged and two-legged persuasion are also desired!
If you or your company would like to help make San Antonio a more pet-friendly community, call our Public Relations & Outreach Manager at 210.207.6665 or
Shelter Paws Program
Our Shelter Paws program lets you take a dog for the day - or even a few hours - in the hopes of making that dog more friendly and adoptable, and giving the dog a break from the shelter! Take a walk in the park, go for a hike or a run, watch a movie at home, or get a puppuccino! To participate, you must:
To sign up, click this link: Sign up here!
If you have questions, please email: email@example.com.
- Be 18 years old
- Have a photo ID
- Have a reliable vehicle
- Be dog friendly!