Does the gloomy winter weather keep your dog from playing and running outside? Have a dog paw-ty inside! Enrichment is important to our dogs’ health and can help them stay sharp and mentally fit. Here are some ways that you can give your dog some indoor enrichment with things you probably already have in your home! Please supervise your pet when trying these so that they can stay safe.
- Bubbles. Simple, cheap, hours of entertainment. Grab a bottle of bubbles and watch your pup lose their mind trying to catch them.
- Hide some treats. Let your dog’s nose go to work and sniff out some treats hidden throughout the house (under blankets, behind furniture… give them a challenge!
- Add some interesting smells to your pet’s toys. Mint, cinnamon, and basil are just some examples of non-toxic spices and herbs that could make your dog’s nose very happy. You can also use grass clippings or essential oils (again, scents like lavender are safe!).
- Put wind chimes on your porch. Some pets, dogs and cats alike, will enjoy hearing the pleasant sound. This is also a great way to train them to get used to the sounds if they cause them stress - but please remember to use positive reinforcement!
- Blanket fort! Snuggle up in your own special tent/lair with pillows and blankets! Bring in some toys and treats. Add some fairy lights for an extra aesthetically pleasing and an Instagram-worthy moment!
- New tricks! Spend the time cooped up inside to teach your dog a new trick. Look up some Youtube videos and teach them some fun party tricks!
Indoor Places to Visit
- Check if your local Lowe’s or Home Depot allows dogs (most do if they are well-behaved). If you believe your dog can
handle it, leash them up and take them for a stroll so they can get exposure to a new place and new people - it’s exciting!
- Take your dog to work. If your work allows it, take your pup to the office to meet some new people and get attention all
day! It’s a cute dog in an office - everyone will love it!
- Visit a pet supplies store. Go get your pup a new toy or new treats to try and spend some time perusing the aisles of fun