Recommended Program Renewals
Two separate ballot initiatives to extend the collection of 1/8 cent sales tax for Edwards Aquifer and Linear Creekway Parks Program increasing the total allocation from the current $135 million to $180 million. Sales tax total of $180 million projected to be collected over five year period from 2016 to 2021.
Proposed Edwards Aquifer Protection Program – $100 million
- Conservation easement and land purchase operation ($90 million)
- Recharge area/recharge feature protection projects within Bexar County’s recharge and contributing zone ($10 million)
Proposed Linear Creekway Parks Program – $80 million
- Purchase land and construct multi-use trails to expand the Howard W. Peak Greenway Trail system, providing
- expansions and connectivity toward completion of city-wide circle of trails
- additional community access through neighborhood connections to trails
- To the extent possible and practical, watershed and water quality protection efforts when developing parks improvements
Edwards Aquifer Protection Program Objectives
To protect the quality and quantity of the water recharging into the Edwards Aquifer through the protection of land over the sensitive Recharge and Contributing Zones of the aquifer.
Linear Creekway Parks Program Objectives
To provide for outdoor recreation and fitness opportunities, expand bike and pedestrian connectivity, and, to the extent possible and practical, protect San Antonio’s creekways and watersheds in parks improvement program.