The application status for the COSA Fee Waiver Program is listed by category
OPEN – Accepting Applications
If your project meets the minimum requirements, it may be eligible for a waiver of City fees and SAWS water and sewer impact fees. Exceptions apply. See notes below.
To be eligible for fee waivers, your project must meet the criteria below
- Fee waivers will support eligible projects through one of the following project categories: affordable housing, owner-occupied rehabilitation, historic rehabilitation, or business development. These categories are further defined in the City of San Antonio Fee Waiver Program Guidelines. For Industry and Small Business Development applicants, please contact: Economic Development Department at SBEDAInfo@sanantonio.gov or call (210)207-3903.
- A project is defined as a development on a contiguous property consisting of new construction, rehabilitation, repair or maintenance of existing structures, or any combination thereof. A project may include multiple structures (e.g. a multifamily complex) or a single structure (e.g. a single-family house). For developments consisting of multiple phases on adjacent or nearby parcels, each phase may be considered one project.
- Projects must be appropriately zoned for the intended use at the time the application is submitted. Fee waivers shall not be used to cover the cost of rezoning a property to allow for its intended use. Click here to map your property.
The following projects are not eligible for fee waivers
- Projects over the Edwards Aquifer Recharge or Contributing Zones that result in additional impervious cover (does not apply to residential projects that include at least 75 percent affordable housing units).
- Projects within a FEMA-designated 100-year floodplain.
- Religious or sectarian facilities.
- Surface parking lots that are not part of a larger development or expansion project.
- 100% publicly-funded projects. This includes bond-funded projects and projects on military installations.
- Schools, including all public, private, and charter institutions.
- Hotels, motels, pawn shops, nightclubs, bars, gun shops, liquor stores, tattoo parlors, tanning salons, tobacco/tobacco-like related establishments, specified financial institutions (see UDC Section 35-A101), kiosks, sexually-oriented businesses, and non-permanent structures such as manufactured homes.
- Projects located outside the current city limits, including the extraterritorial jurisdiction and areas of limited-purpose annexation.
- Average processing time for a fee waiver is 72 hours from the time of application. Actual processing time may vary depending on the volume of applications received.
- An administrative processing charge of $100 is required to activate any fee waivers awarded under this program. This charge applies to each waiver, City or SAWS, or $200 for both.
- City fee waivers are valid for one year. SAWS fee waivers are valid for six (6) months. Each waiver is eligible for one renewal at no additional cost. The administrative fee of $100 will apply for each renewal thereafter. Projects are limited to two (2) renewals per waiver type. The total allowable time for a City fee waiver is 3 years under this provision. For SAWS waivers it is 18 months. This is actually longer than the new proposed CCHIP guidelines, which would state that progress toward construction must be demonstrated within 12 months of the agreement or the City retains the right to terminate the agreement.
- Each application must include an estimate of the total fees to be waived for the project. For an estimate of City fees for your project, call (210)207-1111 or use the online Plan Fee Estimator Click here for Plan Fee Estimator. For an estimate of SAWS impact fees for your project, call (210)233-2009.
- Waivers do not provide reimbursement of fees already paid.
- Waivers are awarded to the property/project, not to an individual applicant. All project tradesmen/contractors may utilize the same waiver.
- Any fee waivers not renewed within 30 days of expiration will be forfeited and the available funds assigned to other projects.
- Not all City fees are waived under this program. Click here for list of City fees eligible to be waived at the the Development Services Department. Note that eligible fees are in red; ineligible fees are in black.
- All waivers are subject to funding availability.
Your property must FIRST be appropriately zoned for the intended use in order to obtain a fee waiver. Upon application, this will be verified by staff from a cursory review of the City’s zoning map. This verification is only cursory and does not guarantee 100% accuracy. Before significantly investing in any property, we strongly recommend that you obtain a Zoning Verification Letter from the Development Services Department to ensure that the proper zoning is in place. Failure to do so may threaten your project and result in financial losses. Click here to apply for a zoning verification letter.
For questions with this application, please email COSAFeeWaivers@sanantonio.gov.
Target and other industry projects may be eligible for incentives, including fee waivers. Eligibility is determined by the City's Tax Abatement Guidelines. For more information, and the Joint Incentive Application, please visit the Economic Development Department's website: https://www.sanantonio.gov/edd/development-opportunities/Incentives.
* Yes, I have reviewed and acknowledge acceptance of the conditions above.
-- Agree --