Center City Development & Operations Department
Procession Permit

Contact Us

Mailing Address
PO Box 839966
San Antonio, Texas 78283

Development Division
Operations Division
Parking Division

Procession Contacts

  • Jennifer FragaContact Jennifer Fraga
  • George OlivarriContact George Olivarri
  • David VelasquezContact David Velasquez

Processions & Public Assemblies

Brief Overview Deadline to Submit Application Application Permit Fee Insurance Requirement Cost
First Amendment 15 business days before the event $0 Encouraged, but not required $0
Commercial ( Non-First Amendment) 45 business days before the event $75 Required Varies on event

ATTN: Applicant will be notified within 3 calendar days to acknowledge receipt of application

Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)

Collapse All Expand All
  1. Visit any branch library or the CCDO Special Events Division Office for a hardcopy application & FAQ sheet or
  2. Print application & FAQ sheet from the website [English and Spanish], or
  3. Use the online portal to create an account and fill out the online application ( only one account needed for any event organizing).

Applicant has the following options:

  1. Create an account via the online portal and fill out an electronic application or
  2. Drop off a completed hardcopy with CCDO Special Events Division; 400 N. St. Mary’s Suite 100, San Antonio, TX 78205 or
  3. Call CCDO at 210-207-7819 to speak with a permitting official who will gather your information and create an application for you.

  1. Processions: Street and some sidewalk processions do require permits. A procession that requires a permit is any event of persons moving from one point and ending at another point in such a way that impedes the normal flow or regulation of pedestrian or vehicular traffic.
    1. For example: (1) a group of people marching in the street to share a political message; (2) A fundraiser 5K or 10K; (3) a group of people walking on the sidewalk sharing a religious message who do not leave room for anyone else unrelated to the event to pass them on the sidewalk; (4) A historical figure parade; etc. These are all examples of the types of events that require a permit. This is not an exclusive list.

  2. Assemblies
    1. Exclusive use of a park facility. Permits are not required to have an event at a park. Spontaneous public assemblies are allowed at parks and are protected under the U.S. Constitution, and these events do not require a permit. Event organizers, however, do have the option to request a permit and book parks and other facilities to ensure exclusive use of a particular area and/or accessibility to certain amenities depending on the park.
  1. While we do try to accommodate our applicants’ requests as much as possible, it is sometimes necessary to offer the applicant different times, locations, or dates for events, due to the volume of requests, conflicting events, or other unforeseen circumstances.
  1. A First Amendment Procession application will have no permit or application fee.
  2. A commercial procession application will have the application fee of $75.
  3. Commercial processions: According to Sec 19-633 “The application shall be accompanied by a fee of seventy-five dollars ($75.00). In the event the organizers of an event cannot provide payment with the application, an organizer may submit an affidavit attesting that he or she will provide payment within fifteen (15) business days of the date of the submission of the application. Failure to provide payment will trigger the surety bond requirement in section 19-636 for future procession events by organizers, and the organizer signing the affidavit shall become personally responsible for payment. “All processing fees are non-refundable.
  1. Ordinance requires the insurance for Commercial processions. the applicant shall submit to the permitting official a certificate of insurance and endorsement evidencing commercial general liability coverage, including premises/operations, independent contractors, personal injury, and contractual liability at a combined singled limit of one million dollars ($1,000,000.00) per occurrence, with the city being named as the additional insured by endorsement.
  1. First Amendment Procession means a procession, the sole or principal object of which is First Amendment Activity.

First Amendment activity shall mean all expressive and associative activity that is protected by the United States and Texas Constitutions, including speech, press, assembly, and the right to petition, but not including commercial advertising, revenue-generating events, or fundraising.

  1. Commercial procession shall mean a procession the sole or principal object of which is not First Amendment activity.
  1. First Amendment: If your event is a First Amendment event there is no permit cost and no traffic safety and barricade cost.
  2. Commercial Procession: If your event is a commercial event, there will be a $75 permit cost in addition to traffic safety and barricade costs.
  1. Permits are not required to protest at a park. However, if you desire exclusive use of park area or facility, you can request a reservation through ExploreSA.
  1. For events at Main Plaza, please visit Main Plaza web site for more details.
  1. If you would like to reserve City Hall Steps please call 210.207.7080.
  1. A permit is required to engage in picketing, demonstrations, marches or distribute literature at the San Antonio International Airport. An Application for Permit may be acquired by calling 210.207.7242 or by downloading it from the San Antonio International Airport website.
  1. For public assembly at the Convention Center, contact John Vlieger at 210.207.6780 to obtain a permit.
  1. For public assembly at the Alamodome, contact Stephen Zito at 210.207.3605 to obtain permit.
  1. Yes, depending on the type of event other permits may be needed. When an application, has been filed with the Processions & Public Assemblies Office, contact information will be provided to clients for any departments they may need to reach to obtain additional permits.

Permitting Process & How to Apply

  1. Submit an application to the Office of Processions and Public Assemblies in person, online, or by phone. Please refer to FAQ section for the location.
  2. Submit proposed route with your application (Create Your Map). An SAPD officer will reach out to the event organizer to develop and finalize the Traffic Safety Plan.
  3. A Permitting Official from the Office of Processions and Public Assemblies will contact the event organizer via phone or email within three calendar days to confirm receipt of the application and status of the permit application.
  4. The Permitting Official from the Office of Processions and Public Assemblies will let the applicant know to submit any additional required documents (insurance, notifications, etc).
  5. Final review of application.
  6. Applicant pays $75 permit fee if applicable.
  7. Permit is issued.

Special Event

Special Events: The Special Events Division within the Center City Development and Operations (CCDO) Department can assist Event Organizers with providing general direction for planning major special events.

Jennifer Fraga, CMP, Special Projects Manager
400 N. St. Mary’s, Suite 100
San Antonio, TX 78205
Office: (210) 207-7819
Email: Jennifer Fraga

Block Parties:
For big events, such as block parties that require temporary street closure please contact the office below.

Temporary Use Permits: Development Services Department (DSD) manages the issuance of permitting temporary uses for tents, circuses, and carnivals including the approval of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) drawings.


CCDO Processions & Assemblies Permitting Official
Phone: 210.207.7819

San Antonio Police Department Traffic Division
Phone: 210.207.7400
Email: David Velasquez
Email: George Olivarri

City of San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department
Phone: 210.207.7275
Website: Parks & Recreation

Please note the Esperanza Peace & Justice Center is NOT a city entity.

Esperanza Peace & Justice Center
922 San Pedro
San Antonio, Texas 78212
Phone: 210.228.0201

Procesiones y Asambleas Públicas

En Resumen El plazo para presentar su solicitud Cuota Administrativa para el Permiso Requisito de seguro Costo del Tramite
Primer Enmienda Constitucional 15 días hábiles antes de la realización de su evento $0 Recomendada, pero no obligatoria $0
Comercial ( no clasificado bajo la Primera Enmienda ) 45 días hábiles antes de la realización de su evento $75 Obligatorio Depende del tamaño del evento

ATTN: El solicitante será notificado en 3 días hábiles que se ha recibido su solicitud

Preguntas Frecuentes

Collapse All Expand All
  1. Recoja una copia de la solicitud junto con el documento con preguntas frecuentes [Inglés o Español] en una biblioteca o en la Oficina de Center City Development & Operations
  2. Visite el sitio web de procesiones y asambleas e imprima la solicitud y preguntas frecuentas [Inglés o Español
  3. Crear una cuenta de organizador en línea (solamente una cuenta es necesaria por evento) y acceder la solicitud en Inglés o Español

El solicitante tiene las siguientes opciones:

  1. Ingrese a la cuenta de organizador(a) llene y envíe su solicitud en línea. La solicitud será enviada al oficial de permisos dentro la Oficina de Center City Development & Operations ( CCDO)
  2. Deje la solicitud con CCDO Special Events Division; 400 N. St. Mary’s Suite 100 San Antonio, TX 78205 o
  3. Llame a CCDO al (210) 207-7819 y el oficial de permisos ingresará manualmente la información del solicitante.

  1. Procesiones: Una procesión que requiere un permiso es un evento en el cual los participantes se mueven de un punto a otro en tal manera que impide el flujo normal del tráfico peatonal o vehicular.
    1. Por ejemplo: (1) un grupo de personas marchando en las calles para compartir un mensaje político; (2) una recaudación de fondos en forma de carrera o caminata 5/10 kilómetros (3) un grupo de personas caminando en las banquetas compartiendo mensajes religiosos que impide que personas sin relación con el evento hagan uso de la banqueta; (4) un desfile de una figura histórica. Todos estos son ejemplos de eventos que requieren un permiso. Esta lista no es exclusiva a los tipos de eventos mencionados.
  2. Asambleas:
    1. Uso exclusivo de instalaciones y parques: No se requiere un permiso para tener un evento en un parque. Asambleas espontáneas son permitidas y protegidas por la Constitución de los Estados Unidos. Sin embargo, organizadores de eventos tienen la opción de solicitar un permiso y reservación para un parque y sus instalaciones para asegurar uso exclusivo de un área en particular y / o acceso a ciertas comodidades dependiendo el parque.
  1. Intentamos complacer todas las solicitudes pero en ocasiones es necesario ofrecer al solicitante diferentes horas, lugares, o fechas para eventos debido al volumen de solicitudes, eventos que conflictúan u otras circunstancias inesperadas.
  1. Una solicitud de una marcha pública de la Primera Enmienda no tendrá un permiso o tarifa de solicitud.
  2. Una solicitud de una procesión comercial que no sea de la Primera Enmienda tendrá una tarifa de solicitud de $75.
  3. Procesión Comerciales: De acuerdo con la Sec. 19-633 "La solicitud debe ir acompañada de una tarifa de setenta y cinco dólares ($75.00). En caso de que los organizadores de un evento no puedan proporcionar el pago con la aplicación, un organizador puede presentar una declaración jurada que acredite que proporcionará el pago dentro de los quince (15) días hábiles posteriores a la fecha de presentación de la solicitud. Si no se realiza el pago se activará el requisito de fianza en la sección 19-636 para futuros eventos de marchas por parte de los organizadores, y el organizador que firme la declaración jurada será personalmente responsable del pago. "Todas las tarifas de marchas no son reembolsables.
  1. Antes de la aprobación de la solicitud de un permiso de una marcha pública que sea comercial, el solicitante deberá presentar al funcionario de permisos un certificado de seguro y endoso que evidencie la cobertura de responsabilidad civil comercial, incluidos locales/operaciones, contratistas independientes, daños personales y responsabilidad contractual en un límite único combinado de un millón de dólares ($1,000,000.00) por acontecimiento, con la ciudad nombrada como asegurado adicional por endoso. El solicitante deberá proporcionar un aviso con al menos treinta (30) días de anticipación sobre la cancelación o la modificación material de la póliza de seguro.
  1. Una procesión cuyo único u objetivo principal es actividad protegida por la Primera Enmienda.

Una actividad bajo la Primera Enmienda significa toda actividad que está protegida por las Constituciones de los Estados Unidos y Texas, incluida la libertad de expresión, prensa, asamblea y el derecho de petición, pero sin incluir publicidad comercial.

  1. Una marcha pública que no esté protegida por la Primera Enmienda es un evento público cuyo único o principal objetivo no es la libertad de expresión protegida por la Primera Enmienda.
  1. Primer Enmienda: Si su evento es clasificado bajo la Primera Enmienda la ciudad cubrirá los gastos relacionados a la seguridad vial y a los oficiales de policía presentes en el evento.
  2. Comercial: Si su evento no es clasificado bajo la Primera Enmienda, habrá una cuota administrativa de $75 además del costo de la seguridad vial y uso de barricadas.
  1. Un permiso no se requiere para protestar en un parque pero si desea acceso exclusivo al parque usted puede reservar cualquier parque a través de ExploreSA.
  1. Para eventos en la plaza municipal, favor de a visitar el sitio web de Main Plaza para más detalles.
  1. Si usted quiere reservar Los escalones del Palacio Municipal, favor de llamar al 210-207-7080
  1. Se requiere un permiso para organizar una manifestación, marcha o distribuir panfletos en el Aeropuerto Internacional de San Antonio. Una solicitud de permiso se podrá obtener llamando al 210.207.7242.
  1. Para asamblea publica en el Centro de Convenciones contacte a John Vlieger al 210.207.6780 para obtener un permiso.
  1. Para asamblea publica en el Alamodome contacte a Stephen Zito al 210.207.3605 para obtener un permiso.

Si, dependiendo el tipo de evento otros permisos se necesitaran. Cuando la solicitud ha sido entregada a la Oficina de Procesiones y Asambleas Publicas, información se le dará al cliente para los departamentos que tal vez tengan que contactar para permisos adicionales.

Proceso de la Solicitud

  1. Enviar solicitud por internet, hablar por teléfono con el oficial de permisos , o entregar a las Oficinas de Procesiones y Asambleas Públicas. Por favor refiérase a la sección de preguntas frecuentas para la dirección.
  2. Envié la ruta que usted proponga con su solicitud (Crear su mapa). Un oficial de policía lo contactará a él ( la) organizador (a) del evento para desarrollar y finalizar un Plan de Control de Tránsito.
  3. Un Funcionario de la Oficina de Asambleas y Procesiones se pondrá en contacto con el (la) organizador(a) del evento por teléfono o correo electrónico dentro de tres días hábiles para confirmar recibo de su solicitud y dar el estatus de su permiso.
  4. Un Funcionario de la Oficina de Asambleas y Procesiones le hará saber al solicitante si información adicional es necesaria ( seguro, notificaciones, etc.)
  5. Revisión total de los detalles del permiso
  6. Pago de la cuota administrativa de $75 (si aplica).
  7. Permiso será emitido

Eventos Especiales

Eventos Especiales: La división de eventos dentro el Departamento de Desarrollo y Operaciones del Centro de la Ciudad puede asistir en planear su evento.

Jennifer Fraga, CMP, Gerente de Proyectos Especiales
400 N. St. Mary’s, Suite 100
San Antonio, TX 78205
Office: 210.207.7819
Email: Jennifer Fraga

Fiesta de cuadra: Para eventos grandes como fiestas de cuadra que requieren el cierre de calles por uso temporal favor de contactar a la oficina indicada.

Permisos para uso temporal: La Oficina de Desarrollo de la Ciudad administra las solicitudes para usos temporales de carpas, circos, y carnavales. Esta oficina, también se encarga de aprobar diseños mecanicos, eléctricos y de plomería.

Recursos y Contactos:

CCDO Processions & Assemblies Permitting Official
Tel: 210.207.7819

San Antonio Police Department Traffic Division
Tel: 210.207.7400
Email: David Velasquez
Email: George Olivarri

City of San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department
Tel: 210.207.7275
Página de internet: Parks & Recreation

Porfavor, tome en cuenta que la organizaciόn Esperanza Peace & Justice Center NO ES una entidad de la ciudad.

Esperanza Peace & Justice Center
922 San Pedro
San Antonio, Texas 78212
Tel: 210.228.0201