The 2014 Martin Luther King, Jr., Scholarship application is now available. Each year, as part of its celebration and focus on youth and education, the City of San Antonio Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission administers a Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Program. These scholarships help to fund a portion of the college tuition of several deserving students, regardless of race or ethnicity. Application and information on the 2014 MLK Jr., Scholarship are available at www.sanantonio.gov/mlk. Deadline to apply is Friday, Feb. 21, 2014 by 4 p.m.
Each year, the MLK Commission gives thousands of dollars in scholarships, thanks to the support of its many partners. A special ceremony will be held in Spring 2014 to announce the scholarship recipients.
To be eligible an applicant must:
- Be a graduating senior from a Bexar County school
- Be of good moral character
Provide evidence of scholastic achievement
Attend college following graduation
- Be a Bexar County resident for one year and a U.S. Citizen
- Be able to provide a letter of acceptance or financial statement for the first year in college
- Documentation must include verification of having passed a state-mandated test or equivalent school requirements indicating the student will graduate this academic year
Starting in 1987, the City of San Antonio has celebrated the life and legacy of Dr. King with an annual City-sponsored march that now attracts more than 100,000 marchers each year. The City’s 27th Anniversary March, taking place on Monday, Jan. 20, 2014, will honor Dr. King’s legacy with the theme “Realize the Dream: Jobs, Freedom and Justice.”
For more information about the MLK scholarship and application or about the 2014 March and accompanying events, visit sanantonio.gov/mlk. To make a donation to the scholarship fund, email MLK@sanantonio.gov.