Assistant to City Council
Christopher Callanen was appointed Assistant to the City Council in March 2007. In this position, he provides management support to Council Members. He is responsible for the departmental budget as well as the oversight of City Council Offices and the supervision of thirteen support staff. He also serves as the liaison to the City Manager’s Office and City Staff in meeting the goals of the Council.
Prior to his appointment, Mr. Callanen served as Executive Assistant in the Public Works Department for four years. In that role, he was responsible for supervising, coordinating, and overseeing administrative support operations of Public Works including the daily operations of the Director’s Office and managing the public relations and customer service aspects of the department. Previously, Mr. Callanen served as a member of the Council Action Team where he served as staff liaison for two City Council Members and City staff to effectively and efficiently provide complete service delivery resolution.
A city employee since 1994, Mr. Callanen has also served in various positions in the City Manager's Office.
- B.A., Political Science, St. Mary’s University
- City of San Antonio Leadership Development Program Executive Leadership Program
Professional Memberships and Community
- Urban Management Association of South Texas (UMAST)
- Texas City Management Association (TCMA)
- Board of Trustees, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society – South Central Texas Chapter
- PTA 2017/2018 School Year – Rhodes Elementary
Christopher and his wife, Leticia, have two daughters, Lindsey and Cristiana.