Development Services
Certificate Of Occupancy

Office & Location

Development Services Department Map

Cliff Morton Development and Business Services Center
1901 South Alamo Street
San Antonio, TX 78204

Visit our Office
Includes visitor check in information and safety measures at DSD.


7:45 am - 4:30 pm (Mon - Fri)
Closed on City Holidays

Contact Development Services Department Development Services Department Facebook CityPass Development Services Department Sign Up

Check-in Anywhere with CityPass

CityPass Logo

Check-in anywhere using CityPass powered by QLess. This new service offered by the City of San Antonio allows you to see current estimated wait times and get updates on where you are in line.

Certificate of occupancy

Any building being used or occupied as a commercial structure must have a Certificate of Occupancy. The type of proposed business will determine if you need an on-site inspection or simply a name change on the existing certificate of occupancy.

Review below to determine which business occupancy situation applies to you:

If the proposed business is a different type of business than what currently operates in the building, then you will need a new Certificate of Occupancy to legally operate the business within the City of San Antonio. For example, if the property was a clothing store and you plan to make it a hair salon, the business will need a new Certificate of Occupancy.

Keep in mind that certain types of businesses will always require a Business Owner to apply for a new Certificate of Occupancy even if the proposed use of the space remains the same:

  • Alcohol Sales
  • Boarding Homes
  • Transitional Homes
  • Community Homes & Assisted Living Facilities
  • Bed & Breakfasts
  • Head Shops
  • Live Entertainment
  • Salvage Yards & Metal Recycling Facilities

To initiate the process, submit an Application for Certificate of Occupancy and our department will schedule the appropriate inspectors to inspect your business. Typical inspections include Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Fire.  You may also require a Heath Inspection from San Antonio Metropolitan Health Department. After your business successfully passes all required inspections, Development Services will issue your Certificate of Occupancy.

Forms & Applications:

Not all business types will require a new Certificate of Occupancy. When a change of ownership or lessee occurs within an existing building or tenant-space, yet the type of use remains basically the same, a new certificate of occupancy is not necessary. All you need to do is fill out an Application to Update an Existing Certificate of Occupancy to request a name change on the existing certificate of occupancy.

Forms & Applications: