Development Services
Site Information - Zoning

Office & Location

Development Services Department Map

Cliff Morton Development and Business Services Center
1901 South Alamo Street
San Antonio, TX 78204

Visit our Office
Includes visitor check in information and safety measures at DSD.


7:45 am - 4:30 pm (Mon - Fri)
Closed on City Holidays

Contact Development Services Department Development Services Department Facebook CityPass Development Services Department Sign Up

Commercial site considerations

Before you lease a space, or purchase land, or buy a building make sure the zoning of that property matches the type of business you want to operate on it. Just because a warehouse is on the property does not mean that you can simply purchase or lease the warehouse and then operate a live entertainment business. You want to be sure the proposed commercial use you have in mind would be allowed on the property. 

Find out the zoning information using our City’s One Stop Zoning Map or call us at 210.207.1111.

You can also visit with us at the One Stop for a free commercial consultation  or call 210.207.0126  to schedule an appointment. Our Staff can help you verify your zoning, ensure your property is platted properly and can assist with initial guidance about the development or construction process.

For more information on zoning requirements visit the Commercial Section of our website.

There are certain business types that must adhere to location rules established by various regulatory authorities within the State of Texas. Please review the list below to see if your business falls into any of the categories prior to leasing or purchasing commercial space:

  • Alcohol Sales: Alcohol Sales can’t be sold for consumption on or off any property located within 300 feet of a church, school or hospital.
  • Bed & Breakfasts: No bed and breakfast facilities are allowed within 300 feet laterally and 150 feet perpendicular to other property designed for other bed and breakfasts.
  • Community Homes, Assisted Living Facilities & Boarding Homes: A community home can’t be within 0.5 mile of an existing one.
  • Head Shops: A head shop is not allowed within 1,000 feet of property zoned for residential, churches, hospitals, community centers, museums, parks or schools.
  • Transitional Homes: Transitional homes can’t be within 1,000 feet of any schools day care centers, or parks.
  • Live Entertainment [Sexually Oriented Businesses (SOB)]: SOBs can’t operate within 1,000 feet of a residential zoned property, schools, churches or parks.

If your business falls into one of these categories, you must submit an affidavit stating that the proposed business meets the locational requirements and provide a certified map prepared by a state licensed engineer or state licensed surveyor. To locate an engineer or surveyor, visit the Professional Engineers in Private Practice or Texas Board of Professional Engineers.

The below list covers the most common zoning districts for commercial property use:

  • O-1, O-1.5 and O-2: office districts
  • NC: neighborhood commercial,
  • C-1, C-2 and C-3: commercial districts,
  • D: downtown
  • L: light industrial
  • I-1: general industrial
  • I-2: heavy industrial
  • ERZD: Edwards Recharge Zone District

Information on uses permitted in the various zoning districts can be found in the Examples of Permitted Uses below or you can refer to the UDC (Chapter 35 Article III, Sec.35-310.01, Tables 311-1 and Tables 311-2). Please note that the sale of alcohol for on-premise consumption is allowed at restaurants in all permitted base zoning districts, except those designated as “R” or “NA."

Forms & Applications: