The mission of the Economic Development Department is to foster economic growth through collaboration and innovation for the continued prosperity of our community.
San Antonio is a model city for the new face of America—a diverse, progressive and globally competitive city with a solid vision for national and international economic development. In 2012, San Antonio was named an All-America City by the National Civic League.
The City of San Antonio maintains a strong financial position with a “AAA” general obligation bond rating from all three major rating agencies. The Milken Institute has ranked San Antonio No. 1 on its Best-Performing Cities list.
As the seventh-largest city in the United States, San Antonio is experiencing solid economic growth in 21st century industries such as bioscience and healthcare, aerospace, IT and cybersecurity and green technologies.
- Biotech companies and healthcare systems in San Antonio contribute billions to the local economy.
- The Aerospace industry remains a dominant economic strength in San Antonio with the presence of several aviation and aerospace corporations, including the military. The military has had a significant relationship with San Antonio for more than 200 years and is home to several military commands.
- The city is also a cybersecurity hub; nationally recognized as a leader in the field of information security.
- San Antonio is positioning itself to be at the forefront of the New Energy Economy in the United States, committed to investing and creating employment opportunities in green industries.
San Antonio’s economy has remained steady and prosperous by successfully attracting new businesses and helping existing companies grow. The City has focused on creating new employment opportunities in 21st century industries, maintaining a great quality of life, and facilitating business growth at the local and international level.
Industry Development Division
The Industry Development Division offers local and state financial incentives, including tax credits, grants, low interest loans, tax exemptions, training funds and reduced utility costs, which help cultivate key industries and enhance San Antonio’s economic base by creating jobs in strategic areas of the city.
International Business Development Division
The International Business Development Division works with local and international partners providing key information and access to investors and global entities to facilitate bilateral trade and investment. The result is job growth in San Antonio.
Small Business Division
The Small Business Division facilitates small business development and growth through various programs and services. The Small Business Office administers the Small Business Economic Development Advocacy (SBEDA) Program, which leverages the City’s purchasing power to grow small, minority, and women-owned businesses.
Operations and Monitoring DIVISION
The Operations and Monitoring Division ensures compliance by:
- Analyzing contracts and monitor dealings (particularly Chapter 380-grant agreements, tax abatement agreements, etc) between the City and companies.
- Corresponding with company executives, City Council, and the public concerning legal obligations.
- Serving the citizens of San Antonio, Operations and Monitoring pledges to enforce department and company commitments with a diligent, objective spirit.