Facts About Diabetes
In the last five years alone, the number of Americans with diabetes has increased by an alarming 27 %. As the U.S. diabetes epidemic grows, so does the need to address diabetes in the workplace. Diabetes affects more than 29 million Americans and is a leading cause of heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure, and amputation. Diabetes prevalence rates are twice the national average in San Antonio.
The good news is, type 2 diabetes can be prevented, and it is not as hard as you might think. Losing just 7% of your body weight (which translates to 15 pounds if you weigh 200 pounds) and exercising moderately (like brisk walking) five days a week can reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes by 58%. Lifestyle changes can also prevent or delay diabetes complications.
The City of San Antonio Employee Wellness Division works closely with various organizations to ensure that the most up-to-date and convenient resources are available to employees and their families in relation to diabetes detection, prevention and management. Diabetes education sessions are offered throughout the year in a variety of formats, so be on the lookout for upcoming sessions at a City location near you.
Living with Type 2 Diabetes Program
Sign up for the American Diabetes Association’s FREE 12-month Living with Type 2 Diabetes Program, which includes informational packets, diabetic-friendly recipes, a monthly e-newsletter, three free issues of Diabetes Forecast, and more.
Deer Oaks offers a network of more than 50,000 trained specialists throughout the U.S. and Canada who are available to provide face-to-face assessments and counseling to employees and family members.
Are money issues causing you stress? Child leaving for college? Need legal assistance?
If you need someone to talk to about these or other issues, call the City's Employee Assistance Program!
The City of San Antonio provides a comprehensive Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Deer Oaks to ALL full-time and part-time, civilian employees, uniform Fire Department employees, and their household members. The service is free and offers a variety of services, which are designed to assist you and your family in resolving daily work and life challenges that may be affecting your well-being. All services provided by Deer Oaks are confidential and HIPAA-compliant.
Deer Oaks services are available to employees for both personal and professional use. The EAP can provide up to six (6) personal sessions per issue, with unlimited issues for each household member. The EAP is for short-term counseling use.
Counseling services offered:
- Personal counseling
- Family counseling
- Marital counseling
- Legal counseling
- Financial counseling
- Group counseling
- Seminars for employees or supervisors
- Critical incident response
* Work-related services counseling can be coordinated through your department's Employee Relations Team or by contacting the Employee Wellness Program at 210.207.WELL (9355).
Deer Oaks Contact Information
Contact Deer Oaks
Deer Oaks specialists are available to help you 24 hours per day, seven days per week, and 365 days per year.
Why would I call the EAP?
- Relationship issues
- Child or adolescent issues
- Emotional or personal issues
- Legal or financial issues
- Anger management
- Community resources, including child/elder care
- Work-related issues
- Take the High Road on the Highway - Catch a cab home if you cannot drive yourself. Simply submit your receipt to Deer Oaks for reimbursement. Call 1.866.327.2400 for more information.
- Online tools and resources - Log on to www.deeroakseap.com to access helpful articles, tools, and monthly chat sessions.
Username and password: cosa and cosa
- Parents at Work Program - Counseling for new parents returning to work
- Referrals to community resources
- Legal / financial consultation resources:
- Free 30-minute per issue in-person or telephonic consultation with a plan attorney; discounts are available for ongoing services
- Free 30-minute telephonic consultation with an Identity Recovery professional. A customized action plan, consultation, and ongoing ID recovery guidance are included.
- Free Identity Monitoring service
- Free interactive online Simple Will preparation
- Unlimited online access to a wealth of educational financial and legal resources, links, tools, and forms. Log in to Deer Oaks to access these services.
- Child and elder care referrals, information, and resources
- Daily living and convenience referrals, information, and resources
(ex: assistance locating pet sitters, tutors, fitness centers, moving services, after-school programs, etc.)
- College and relocation referrals, information, and resources
Fitness Center Discounts
City of San Antonio Employees
The chart below reflects the most recent rates offered by San Antonio health clubs/fitness centers to City of San Antonio employees. The rates apply to new members only, unless otherwise stated. Please contact the centers directly for more detailed information on family rates. To enroll at any fitness center, please take your employee ID for proof of employment with the City of San Antonio. For more information, please contact Employee Wellness at 210.207.WELL (9355).
|10% off standard monthly dues
50% off standard enrollment fees
Free 7-day guest pass
|Contact individual club
||• Please bring in flyer to individual club
• Immediate family may also receive discounted rate
• Discount subject to individual club approval
|Bella Women's Fitness
Memberships starting at
$25 per month
No enrollment fee
||• Ladies-only club
• Childcare offered
• 24/7 access
• Group exercise classes
|Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Fitness Program
||$25 per month (no long-term contract)
$25 enrollment fee
|| • Access to a network of 9,000+ fitness centers
• Health and wellness discounts
||No less than a 5% discount on each boot camp
•Camp Gladiator is a 4-week adult fitness boot camp
||Individual: $25 per month
Couples: $35 per month
Family: $40 per month
||• Private workout room
• Zumba, kickboxing and yoga classes
• Basketball and volleyball courts
• Junior activity
|DivaDance San Antonio
|10% off eligible plans (including live stream) and passes with code: COSATX2020DISCOUNT
||• May be used for online and in-person classes
• 3 studios across San Antonio and online classes
• 18 years old and up only
• Not applicable for special programs/series
|Enrique Barrera Community Fitness Center
||$10 per month
||• Ask about senior and youth rates
|Flight Deck SA Bootcamp
|20% off all membership options
||210.294.9909 / email@example.com
||50% off enrollment fces
||Contact individual club
||Contact individual club for any general promotional rates or discounts
|Knock Out Power Women's Fitness
||20% discount on memberships
||956.286.5091 / firstname.lastname@example.org
||• Ladies-only club
• Bring City Employee I.D. for discount
|Never Falter CrossFit
||20% discount on memberships
|| Bring City Employee I.D. for discount
||$10 off Premier/Elite memberships
20% off heart rate monitors
First class is free
|Contact individual club
• Limited to Quarry Village, Alamo Heights, Sonterra Village, & Cibolo Locations
• Simply mention you are a City employee
• Spouses qualify for the same discount through family add-on program
|$10 per month
$10 annual fee
$10 enrollment fee
|Contact individual club
||• Membership available at all Planet Fitness clubs in San Antonio
• Automatic draft required for monthly payment
|San Antonio Snap Fitness
||10% discount on current rate
||• 24-hour fitness
• Pre-paid or month-to-month
Southtown Yoga Loft
$20 discount on unlimited monthly membership
$20 discount on 10-class pass packs
Family (same household) memberships available
| 210.931.3301 / email@example.com
• Additional membership options available
• City Employee I.D. required when signing up
• Automatic draft with valid credit card required for monthly payment
• Membership and passes can be used at all locations, no restrictions
• Classes: 7 days a week, check studio schedules
|YMCA of Greater San Antonio
New Promotional Flyer - Employees
New Promotional Flyer - Retirees
New Plan (as of: 3/2/20)
$25 per month for adult
$55 per month for family
$15 enrollment fee
Old Plan (if currently enrolled in this plan, you can keep it)
$32 per month for adult
$42 per month for family
$0 enrollment fee
|Contact individual club
• Choose your YMCA facility
• Group exercise classes, wellness orientation, preferred pricing and priority registration for youth programs
• Rate available for access to SA YMCA facilities
* Whether to enter into a membership with a fitness center is totally the individual employee's decision and responsibility. The City is not a party to any agreement between employee and fitness center. The City shall not be liable for payment of any membership fee. Membership fees are the sole responsibility of the employee. Any individual deciding to start a fitness regimen or exercise program should consult his/her physician before beginning.
A diet high in fruits and vegetables can help in reducing your risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and more. Fruits and vegetables are high in fiber and help to aid your digestion. They are packed with vitamins and minerals that help you to stay healthy and feel energized. Visit your local farmers market to find fruits and vegetables that are in season. To learn more about healthy eating and nutrient recommendations, visit MyPlate.
Farmers markets allow consumers to have access to locally grown, farm fresh produce, enables farmers the opportunity to develop a personal relationship with their customers, and cultivate consumer loyalty with the farmers who grow the produce. See the list below to find a local farmers market near you.
Fitness in the Park
Get ready. Get Set. Go! To your local parks for free Fitness in the Park classes. This award-winning program offers you a myriad of opportunities to improve your physical fitness, from Zumba to walking and running groups to high intensity workouts and boot camps all taught by professional instructors. The classes are offered in various locations throughout the city.
View the full schedule of classes.
Greenway Trails System
Ride your bike or take a hike along the Howard W. Peak Greenway Trails. This trail system is an ever growing network of multi-use hike and bike trails that wind through natural landscapes along San Antonio creeks. Currently, there are 45 miles of developed greenway trails now open to the public.
Mobile Fit San Antonio
The Mobile Fit San Antonio unit offers free fitness classes to include a variety of exercise activities such as boot camps, aerobic based exercise, yoga, Zumba, and others. With the addition of the health kiosk, residents can also be aware of indicators commonly linked to general health and the risk of developing a health related condition.
The vehicle will travel to parks, schools and community events throughout the year.
Find out more about Mobile Fit.
Outdoor Fitness Equipment
Fitness equipment stations at City parks and adjacent to five City libraries feature high quality equipment that allows you to combine your cardio workout on the trails with a total body workout on the equipment.
Find out more about Outdoor Fitness Equipment.
Preventive Care Services
Your medical benefits include coverage for preventive care services from network
physicians and other health care professionals, to help you stay healthy and detect
Disease prevention and early detection are important to living a healthy life.
The better your health, the less your health care costs. Preventive services include
wellness examinations and diagnostic tests such as cancer screening. Please discuss
with your physician the importance of preventive care and the types of services you
What services are considered Preventive Services?
The recommendations in the Guide to Clinical Preventive Services, by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), are an excellent guide in determining what
services are considered to be preventive care. However, coverage for preventive care is
not limited to the services found on the USPSTF list. Ultimately, we look to the
physician to determine the appropriate combination of test and screenings during a
preventive care visit.
Common services that fall under your preventive care benefit include, but are not
- Routine physical examinations –
Well Adult Care
- Comprehensive lab panels/testing
- Well baby and well child care
- Vision and Hearing screenings
- Chest X-Rays
- Blood Pressure Testing
- Screening mammography
- Screening colonoscopy or
- Cervical cancer screening (PAP
- Prostate cancer screening
- Bone mineral density tests
- Osteoporosis screening
- Chlamydia screening
- Cholesterol screening
- Colorectal Cancer Screening – blood
and fecal-occult testing (also see screening colonoscopy above)
- Diabetes screening
- Lead screening
- Newborn screening (for metabolic
- TSH screening (thyroid stimulating
How can I make sure that my Preventive services are paid for at 100%?
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas can only identify preventive care services based on the coding your
physician notes on his/her claim. To ensure proper coding, please discuss the information listed below
with your physician:
- When making your appointment, tell the physician's office you want to schedule
your annual, routine preventive care visit.
- At the end of your office visit, confirm with your physician/office assistant that the
claim submission to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas will have a preventive diagnosis code.
Refer to your benefit summaries at www.bcbstx.com or call the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Member Services Line at 1.800.521.2227 for more information about preventive care
benefits and how these services are covered.
Choose Life. Quit Tobacco.
"Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a thousand times." ~Mark Twain
Do you or your spouse/domestic partner want to quit using tobacco? The City is here to assist you. Through the City's Tobacco Cessation Program, you and your spouse/domestic partner have access to a variety of programs, tools, and resources that are intended to help you with quitting tobacco.
Quit for Life Program (Quitline)
When you are ready to quit, call the FREE and confidential Quitline at 1.866.784.8454 or enroll in the Quit for Life program online. Administered by the American Cancer Society, the City’s customized Quitline is available to ALL full-time, active City of San Antonio employees and their spouses/domestic partners at no cost. The Quitline provides professional counselors to assist you through the toughest parts of quitting tobacco.
How it works
- Call the Quitline at 1.866.784.8454 or enroll online at Quit for Life.
- Speak with a professional counselor.
- With the assistance of the counselor, develop a nicotine cessation program that works for you, which may include free nicotine patches or gum.
- Continue phone counseling with Quitline staff.
- Quit for good!
Tobacco Cessation Prescription Medications
To support civilian employees and their spouses/domestic partners who are on the City’s health plan with quitting tobacco, the City’s prescription drug plan has been extended to cover several tobacco cessation prescription medications. These medications include Buproban, which is a Tier 1 prescription medication, and Chantix, Nicotrol, and Zyban, which are Tier 3 prescription medications. At your next visit with your primary care physician, discuss whether tobacco cessation prescription medications are right for you.
i quit, so what is next?
Tobacco users are assessed a $40 monthly fee. You may stop the monthly fee by completing a tobacco cessation program, including the Quit for Life Program and the City’s tobacco cessation classes. Once you have successfully done so and are tobacco-free for 60 consecutive days, complete and submit a new Tobacco Declaration Form certifying that you are no longer a tobacco user with a certificate of completion from the tobacco cessation program to the City’s employee Benefits Office.
Contact your department's Employee Relations Team to obtain the Tobacco Declaration Form. After you have submitted your new Tobacco Declaration Form and certificate of completion, it will take up to two (2) pay periods to process the change. Note, you will not be refunded for any amount you have paid in monthly fees prior to the new Tobacco Declaration Form being processed.
Benefits of Quitting
- 20 minutes after quitting. Your heart rate and blood pressure drops.
- 12 hours after quitting. The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
- 2 weeks to 3 months after quitting. Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.
- 1 to 9 months after quitting. Coughing and shortness of breath decreases; cilia (tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk infection.
- 1 year after quitting. The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
- 5 years after quitting. Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker 5 to 15 years after quitting.
- 10 years after quitting. The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a continuing smoker's. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decreases, too.
- 15 years after quitting. The risk of coronary heart disease is the same as a non-smoker's.
Tobacco Cessation Resources
The Virgin Pulse Program offers regular, full-time, civilian employees the opportunity to earn contributions, up to $500, to their Health Savings or Flexible Spending Account by remaining active throughout the year. Register for the Virgin Pulse Program.
Who is Eligible?
All regular, full-time, civilian employees are eligible to participate in the Virgin Pulse Program.
How Does It Work?
Through the Virgin Pulse Program, you have the ability to track your physical activity with the use of a free activity tracker (pedometer) to earn points. Points translate to contributions to your Health Savings or Flexible Spending Account, up to $500 throughout a 12-month period. Contributions are paid on a quarterly basis, with a maximum of $125 each quarter.
- Participants will have three (3) months or one quarter to progress through Levels 1 - 4, with the game resetting after each quarter. For example, quarter 1 begins on January 1st and ends on March 31st. Your points will reset on April 1st and a new quarterly game will begin.
- Contributions are based on four (4) reward levels.
- The more activities you complete and physical activity you incorporate into your daily routine, the more points you earn.
- Physical activity is tracked through your activity tracker and online account. It takes approximately 7-10 business days to receive your activity tracker from the time you register.
- Contributions are automatically added to your Health Savings or Flexible Spending Account at the end of each quarter. If you do not have a Flexible Spending Account, then an account will automatically be opened for you to deposit the funds into.
For the Virgin Pulse Program, eligible activities include:
- Tracking your daily activity,
- Participating in health challenges,
- Tracking healthy habits,
- Completing daily cards, and
- Attending and participating in Employee Wellness Program events.
Complete program details, including the ways you can earn points, can be found in the Virgin Pulse Information Sheet.
Have questions about the Virgin Pulse Program? Contact Virgin Pulse directly at
1.866.852.6898, your department’s
Wellness Ambassador, or the Employee Wellness Program.
Wellness program and services available at work.