Normalizing Equity in Our City
What is the Equity Trainer Program?
In collaboration and coordination with Office of Equity (OE), the Equity Trainers Program builds staff capacity through coordinated equity trainings across all Departments, in order to normalize and operationalize equity concepts and practices across the City. Over 40 city employees (Equity Trainers) were selected through an application process and trained in “train-the-trainer” model. Equity Trainer Program includes a week long leadership training, skill building on equity concepts and facilitation, and on-going technical support from the Office of Equity on a variety of diversity, equity and inclusion topics.
- Attended 1-week long Equity 101
- Participating in ongoing equity trainings
Talking to Others
- Facilitate Equity 101 trainings
- Organize Lunch & Learns
- Support facilitation of Department Equity Assessments
- Support Departmental Budget Equity Tools
Equity Curriculum Structure
The equity training curriculum is designed to normalize and operationalize equity concepts and practices within City Departments. The two-phased equity curriculum includes an introduction to advancing equity in local government followed by training departmental staff in developing an equity lens.
Equity Training Objectives include:
- Deepen understanding of the role of government in advancing equity.
- Building shared language and understanding of equity, diversity and inclusion concepts.
- Develop and practice appropriately relevant strategies and skills through the application of an equity lens framework.
The citywide equity trainings will prepare City Departments in creating and measuring departmental equity strategic plans.