CONTACT: Carol Schliesinger, 210-207-8172
SAN ANTONIO (March 13, 2018) – Whether you are traveling or staying in town, it’s important to make healthy choices, even during Spring Break. Metro Health’s ¡Viva Health! campaign reminds you that your healthy habits should not take a break too. Below are some simple tips for you and your family to follow during your spring vacation.
Healthy tips for the road:
Pack your own snacks instead of relying on gas stations. Include fresh fruit such as mandarin oranges, apples, or bananas, your favorite blend of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit, and items for the ice chest such as string cheese and yogurt.
- Choose water over sugary beverages and avoid or limit alcohol throughout your vacation to prevent excess calorie intake and dehydration.
- Don’t skip meals. They keep you energized throughout your adventurous day.
- When dining out, skip the appetizer and order a side salad instead. Share a plate to help with portion control.
- Include daily physical activity in your vacation plans by incorporating fun, outdoor activities for everyone to enjoy. Map out local bike-share programs, trails and parks.
- Visit the local grocery store for snacks and meals. This can help you choose healthier food options and save money.
Healthy tips for a local vacation
- Plan a trip to the local farmer’s market to choose seasonal fruits and vegetables to include with every meal and snack.
- Purchase quick, healthy snacks such as fruits, vegetables, and nuts to have at home and within reach and skip the junk food.
- Visit a local park; plan a bike ride or a hike together to keep the family moving.
- Infuse water with fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs as a replacement for sugary beverages. Freeze them to make delicious refreshing popsicles!
- Preparing new healthy dishes at home is a great way to save money and spend fun, quality time with friends and family.
The Metro Health ¡Viva Health! campaign encourages everyone to continue their healthy habits or pick up some new ones during your spring break vacation.
Remember the three ¡Viva Health! messages:
- Drink water, not sugary drinks
- Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables, every meal, every day
- For portion control, use a smaller plate