CONTACT: LiftFund Customer Service, 1.800.494.4973
TO APPLY: Visit covid19.sanantonio.gov/recoverygrants
SAN ANTONIO (July 13, 2020) — In partnership with the non-profit organization LiftFund, the City of San Antonio is utilizing funding provided from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, also known as the CARES Act, to provide financial assistance in form of grants to small businesses and nonprofit organizations impacted financially by COVID-19.
“Small businesses are the backbone of our economy and will be critical to our recovery from the economic effects of COVID-19,” said District 3 Councilmember and Chair of the Economic and Workforce Development Committee Rebecca J. Viagran. “This program will provide support and help alleviate any cost burdens to our small businesses and nonprofits as they reopen their doors safely and continue to navigate during this time.”
The grant program is an initiative of the COVID-19 Community Recovery and Resiliency Plan. San Antonio City Council approved the plan last month, followed by a review and approval of the implementation strategy by the Economic and Workforce Development Committee.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has caused unprecedented challenges and disruptions to small businesses and non-profit organizations across San Antonio,” said City Manager Erik Walsh. “These grants will provide relief to those struggling financially to help our economy recover and emerge stronger than before.”
The application period opens Monday, July 13, 2020 and closes on Monday, July 27, 2020 with $24.7 million available. LiftFund will administer the grants, and all completed applications will be reviewed for basic eligibility.
Grant eligibility criteria includes:
- Grant applicant must be authorized representative of business or non-profit organization;
- Businesses and nonprofits with twenty (20) employees or less including full-time, part-time or contract employees;
- Annual gross business revenue or nonprofit organization’s board approved budget less than $2 million;
- Located within San Antonio city limits and must be willing to remain within boundaries for at least one calendar year from the date of grant award;
- Business and non-profits must not be in the process of filing for bankruptcy;
- Demonstrate a loss of at least 15% of revenue for the period beginning March 1, 2020 due to negative impact related to the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Business or nonprofit must be established prior to August 1, 2019;
- Businesses or nonprofits that received a grant through the Bexar County LiftFund Program are not eligible for grant consideration;
- The following type of businesses are not eligible for consideration: professional services, such as certified public accountant, architect, landscape architect, land surveyor, physician, optometrist, engineer, real estate appraiser, attorney, interior design, veterinarian; gambling/gaming businesses; national franchises; sexually-oriented businesses; payday & auto loan providers; liquor stores and businesses in which a City employee or officer has a financial interest, as defined in Sec. 2-53 of the City’s Ethics Code.
- Commitment to the Greater. SAfer. Together. Pledge.
Grants will be available in the following amounts:
Grant award limitations include:
- Limited to one per each physical address within the City of San Antonio;
- Only one grant will be awarded per business or non-profit with more than one location;
- Grant applicants are only eligible to receive one grant award.
Local community business organizations Centro, San Antonio for Growth on the Eastside (SAGE), the Westside Development Corporation (WDC), and Southside First will be available to provide application assistance to eligible businesses.
Grants will be awarded in August. Eligible businesses or nonprofits can apply for the grants by going to covid19.sanantonio.gov/recoverygrants or by calling 1-800-494-4973.
“Small businesses are vital to our local economy,” said Janie Barrera, President & CEO of LiftFund. “We are proud to partner with the City of San Antonio to provide relief grants to small businesses in our community and support them on their journey to recovery.”
LiftFund is also offering five webinars to provide the community an overview of the grants program and application process. The webinars will be offered in English and Spanish.
The English sessions will be held on July 15, July 20, and July 22 from 11:00am – 12:00pm. Registration is available online.
The Spanish sessions will be held on July 15 and July 20 from 2:00pm – 3:00pm. Registration is also available online.