CONTACT: For members of the media, please contact:
Laura Mayes, City of San Antonio (210) 207-1337
Michelle Vigil, City of San Antonio (210) 207-8172
For questions from the general public, please contact:
COVID-19 Hotline (210) 207-5779
SAN ANTONIO (August 11, 2020) – Yesterday, Metro Health began reporting the number of deaths under investigation from those reported by the Texas Department of Health Services (DSHS). Of the completed investigations, Metro Health has confirmed 53 more deaths that occurred between July 6 – 24, 2020.
The total numbers of confirmed deaths and cases under investigation will be reported on the covid19.sanantonio.gov website. The data will appear on the COVID-19 website as noted below:
*As of August 11, 2020
The demographic information for the 53 deaths includes:
- 27 females, 20 Hispanic and seven non-Hispanic between the ages of 37 and 99. 18 persons had underlying medical conditions and 9 had no or unknown underlying medical conditions. 21 deaths occurred in a hospital setting, three unknown, two in nursing homes and one in hospice care.
- 26 males, 18 Hispanic, seven non-Hispanic and one Black between the ages of 48 – 91. 16 persons had underlying medical conditions and 10 had no or unknown health conditions. 20 deaths occurred in a hospital setting, five unknown and one in hospice care.
Metro Health investigates the deaths by confirming a positive COVID-19 test result and residency in Bexar County. Deaths that are validated by Metro Health will be added to the total number of deaths reported daily.
FOUR WAYS TO SIGN UP FOR COVID-19 ALERTS
- Download the Ready South Texas app, available in the iTunes and Google Play stores
- Text COSAGOV to 55000 to receive SMS text message updates
- Follow @COSAGOV on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Bookmark covid19.sanantonio.gov
Public service announcements on social distancing, prevention and testing are available here.