Notice of Public Hearing
PROPOSED NAMING OF
Military Drive Trailhead to Dora Jordan Trailhead
8802 W. MILITARY DR.
The City of San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department will conduct a public hearing via videoconference to name the Military Drive Trailhead to Dora Jordan Trailhead located at 8802 W. Military Dr. on February 2, 2021 at 5:30 p.m.
THERE IS NO IN-PERSON PUBLIC ACCESS TO THIS MEETING.
PLEASE READ BELOW FOR MULTIPLE WAYS TO PARTICIPATE AND PROVIDE COMMENT.
Telephone Access: 415-655-0001
Access Code: 177 397 4262
To protect the health of the public and limit the potential spread of COVID-19, this meeting will be held via videoconference. These meeting standards are based upon the various suspended provisions of the Open Meetings Act issued by the Texas Governor in response to the COVID-19 crisis. These modified standards shall remain in place until further notice or until the state disaster declaration expires or is otherwise terminated by the Texas Governor.
PUBLIC COMMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Members of the public may provide comment consistent with procedural rules governing the committee meeting and state law. Public comment may be provided as follows:
1. Submit written comments (up to 300 words maximum) via email by Monday, February 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM to the Committee liaison: Veronica.Moreno@sanantonio.gov. These comments will be read at the time the item is heard. Please include your full name and home or work address.
2. Drop off written comments to the Parks and Recreation Department Director’s Office by Monday, February 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM. Written comments may also be hand delivered to the Parks and Recreation Director’s Office located at 114 West Commerce Street in the Municipal Plaza Building. The written comments may be up to 300 words. Please include your full name and full home or work address. These comments will be read at the time the item is heard.
3. Leave a voice mail message of a maximum two (2) minutes by dialing (210) 207-4207 by Monday, February 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM. Your message will be played during the meeting. Please include your full name and home or work address.
4. Sign up to give your comments live during the meeting by leaving your name and telephone number at (210) 207-4207 by Monday, February 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM. City staff will contact you when the item is up for discussion but cannot guarantee a specific time after 5:30 PM. Once you join the call, you will be given two (2) minutes to provide your comments.
*Note: Comments may be submitted in English or Spanish. Written comments, voicemails, and requests to make comments during the meeting live in Spanish must be received by Monday, February 1, 2021 at 9:00 AM to give time for translation. We will not accept comments or sign ups after this time for Spanish translation.
Community stakeholders submitted a request to Councilmember Melissa Cabello Havrda, Council District 6, to name the Military Drive Trailhead to Dora Jordan Trailhead. Honoring Ms. Jordan’s approximately thirty-two (32) years of hard work and dedication to the Parks and Recreation Department from February 1975 through September 2006. Ms. Jordan passed away on July 12, 2020.
Dora Jordan organized special events such as the New Year’s Eve celebration, the Jazz’SAlive festivals, and dedication for new parks, to name just a few. She served as a translator when the presidents of six Latin American countries came to San Antonio in 1992. She was also involved in planning dignitary visits, including Pope John Paul II in 1987, and bringing Mexican songstress Lola Beltrán to San Antonio for a concert benefiting City parks.
She also encouraged other women to apply for better jobs, speak up for themselves, and persevere in working their way up through the organization as she had done in the Parks and Recreation Department. Ms. Jordan started as a Clerk II and advanced to a Special Activities Coordinator. She acted as a mentor for many other Mexican-American women to help them apply themselves.
• The hearing will be held on February 2, 2021 via videoconference at 5:30 p.m.