Sponsored by the City of San Antonio Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission
Each year, as part of its celebration and focus on youth and education, the MLK, Jr. Commission administers a Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Program. These scholarships help to fund a portion of the college tuition of several deserving students, regardless of race or ethnicity. Each year, the MLK, Jr. Commission gives thousands of dollars in scholarships, thanks to the support of its many partners. This ceremony will be held in Spring 2019 .
To be eligible an applicant must:
- Be a graduating senior from a school in Bexar County
- Be a Bexar County resident for one year and a U.S. Citizen
- Have a minimum, cumulative GPA of 2.5 or equivalent
- Scholarship applications must be completed and submitted online.
Complete all application items, including the required essay. Do not leave any blanks. For items is not applicable, write "N/A" or “none.”
Include two letters of recommendation. The letters must be written by one of the following:
a. Counselor or teacher of an academic course.
b. Your employer, clergy person or extra-curricular sponsor (Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts, pep squad sponsor, etc.)
- Submit an official high school transcript through midterm of the 2018 - 2019 school year. Transcripts should be mailed directly from the school to:
MLK, Jr. Scholarship Program
ATTN: Yolanda Marquart
P.O. Box 839966
San Antonio, TX 78283-3966
- Submit a letter verifying expected graduation date: August 2019.
- Interviews will be conducted with all finalists. Interviews will be scheduled by the MLK Commission Scholarship Committee. Finalists will be contacted about the interview date and time.
- A complete application submission must include the following:
a. Completed MLK Scholarship Application form
b. Two letters of recommendation
c. Official transcript
d. Letter verifying August 2019 expected graduation date
*Items a and b must be submitted together electronically. Only official transcript may be mailed in.
For more information, contact Yolanda Marquart, MLK Staff Liaison, at MLK@sanantonio.gov.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, February 22, 2019 at 4 p.m. Incomplete applications will be disqualified.
The community can help support students in achieving their higher education goals. Donations for the scholarship fund are accepted from the public and can be mailed to:
City of San Antonio MLK Commission
Attn: Yolanda Marquart
City Manager's Office
PO Box 839966
San Antonio, TX 78283
Make checks payable to San Antonio Area Foundation - MLK Commission Scholarship. Donations can also be made by credit card.
Dream Scholars Program
The Dream Scholar Program was introduced in 2015 as a call-to-action to San Antonio colleges and universities to each fund one full-scholarship to their respective institutions for minority students. The San Antonio MLK, Jr. Commission, under the leadership of Commission Chair Nate Davis, continues this program. Several San Antonio colleges and universities have committed to providing full-scholarships as part of this initiative. Below are current scholarship opportunities from the Commission’s Dream Scholar partners.