Chief of Staff
Mr. Benavides was appointed Chief of Staff in August 2010. In this position, he has oversight of the Communications and Public Affairs Department, 311/Customer Service, Office of the City Council, and provides executive level support to the Office of the City Manager.
Prior to his appointment, Mr. Benavides worked in the Parks and Recreation Department as Assistant Director. In his capacity, he had oversight of maintenance and operations, park projects and planning, tree mitigation, volunteer services and City cemeteries within the Parks department. Before his appointment as Assistant Director, Mr. Benavides served as Executive Assistant to the City Manager where he provided professional support to the City Manager, for four years. He also supervised the Council Action Team, the City Council Agenda process and the administrative activities of the Office of City Council.
In 2004, Mr. Benavides was a participant in the Management Assistant program within the City Manager's Office. As Management Assistant, he was responsible for monitoring budgets, performance measurements, City Council and citizen inquiries. Prior to coming to the City Manager's Office, Mr. Benavides worked in the Department of Community Initiatives as a Management Analyst. Mr. Benavides has been employed with the City of San Antonio since 2002.
He is a native of San Antonio, Texas.
Master of Arts - Our Lady of the Lake University
Bachelor of Arts - University of the Incarnate Word
Professional Memberships & Community Involvement
Leadership San Antonio (LSA) Class 40
United Way Emerging Leaders Council 2014
- United Way Volunteer Advisory Council 2014
- International Hispanic Network 2012 Conference Chair
- San Antonio Business Journal “40 under 40” 2011
- International Hispanic Network Board Member 2007–2010; Member
- International City/County Management Association (ICMA); Member
- International City/County Management Association
2008 Conference Planning Committee
- 2008 Subcommittee on Next Generation Activities
-2006 San Antonio Host Committee
- Texas City Management Association Board of Directors 2005
- Texas City Management Association, Member
- Urban Management Assistants of South Texas – President 2006, Vice-President 2005, Member
- University of the Incarnate Word – Dreeben School of Education, Advisory Board Member
Communications & Public Affairs
311/Customer Relationship Management
Office of City Council
Special Projects Manager: John Peterek
Sr. Customer Service Representative: Selina Lopez