Roderick J. Sanchez, AICP
Assistant City Manager
Roderick Sanchez was appointed Assistant City Manager in February 2017. As a member of the Executive Leadership Team, he is responsible for the overall leadership of over 2,000 employees and management of an annual operating budget of $200 million. Mr. Sanchez oversees the Development Services Department, Solid Waste Management Department, Building and Equipment Services Department, Economic Development Department, Transportation & Capital Improvements Department, the Office of Historic Preservation and the Office of Sustainability.
Prior to his appointment, he served as the Building Official for the City of San Antonio and Director of the Development Services Department from August 2006 until February 2017. Mr. Sanchez was responsible for the daily operations of the department’s three divisions, Land Development, Plan Review and Field Services. Under Mr. Sanchez’ leadership, the Development Services Department achieved accreditation by the International Accreditation Services (IAS) and is now recognized as one of the best Development Services Departments in the nation. Development Services also became the first in Texas to receive the highest Building Code Effectiveness Classification rating for commercial buildings by the Insurance Services Office, Inc. (ISO).
Mr. Sanchez has served the City of San Antonio for 24 years in numerous capacities. Prior to joining the Development Services Department, he served as Assistant Director and as the Executive Assistant for the Planning Department. His background also includes service in the City’s Budget Office as a Management Analyst and a Budget Analyst.
Master of Science, Urban Administration, Trinity University, 1993
- Bachelors of Business Administration, Finance, St. Mary’s University, 1991
- Certificate of Completion, Electrical Construction, St. Phillip’s College, 2005
- Leadership San Antonio Graduate – Class XXXIII, 2007-2008
- Harvard University, JFK School of Government Executive Education - Leadership for the 21st Century Program, 2008
Professional Memberships & Community Involvement
American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), Certified Planner
- American Planning Association (APA)
- International Code Council (ICC)
- Certified Building Official (CBO)
- Texas State-licensed Code Enforcement Officer
- International City/County Management Association (ICMA)
- Licensed Journeyman Electrician
- Leadership San Antonio Steering Committee – Class XXXIII
- St. Mary’s Alumni Association
- St. Luke’s Parish
Mr. Sanchez is a native of San Antonio and he and his wife Celena, have a daughter and a son.
Executive Management Assistant: Robert Rinn
Sr. Executive Secretary: Norma J. Quinn