CONTACT: Bruce Davidson, 210-207-8998
Maria Luisa Cesar, 210-861-9030
SAN ANTONIO (Jan. 9, 2018) — Mayor Ron Nirenberg on Tuesday announced the formation of the Airport System Development Committee, which will evaluate the capacity of San Antonio International Airport and other local airports to accommodate the region’s growth and long-term air service needs.
“The committee’s mission is to answer the question: Is the San Antonio International Airport the right place for investments to properly position the city’s air service for the next 50 years or go with another local option?” said Mayor Nirenberg.
“This will be a data-driven and future-looking analysis of our transportation needs,” Mayor Nirenberg added. “There have been many proposals floated over the past 30 years about the airport. This committee will be the City’s guide for how it makes strategic decisions in this area.”
The Committee consists of 21 community representatives and business executives, from a cross-section of local industries. The Mayor appointed John Dickson, principal of local cybersecurity firm The Denim Group, to serve as the Committee’s Chair.
In selecting its members, emphasis was placed on corporate business travel which often determines airport requirements and air service demand. Several members are currently involved in aviation fields.
In March, the City of San Antonio will engage aviation planning consultants to help guide the Committee through its work, which is expected to take place through 2018.
Airport System Development Committee Members:
- CHAIR: John Dickson, Principal, The Denim Group (Technology Industry)
- John Agather, Broker, KW Realty (Aviation field)
- Jorge Canavati, Principal, J. Canavati & Co. (Air Logistics/Cargo)
- Brian Conklin, SVP of Gov’t/Industry, USAA (Industry representative)
- Dirk Elmendorf, Co-Founder, Rackspace (Industry representative)
- Mark Fessler, President, Millionair–SA (General Aviation/FBO)
- Marina Gavito, Innovation Team, USAA (Community representative)
- Mike Gibbs, SVP-Gen. Counsel, Whataburger (Industry representative)
- Paula Gold-Williams, CEO, CPS Energy (Energy Industry)
- Lt. Gen. Russ Handy (USAF Ret.), Director, Aviation Department (Airport Director)
- Harvey Howell, President, H.H. Howell, Inc. (County-appointed representative)
- Raul Lomeli, Chairman, Saber Es Poder (Community representative)
- Kim Lubel, Corp. Board Member, Various Entities (Industry representative)
- Casandra Matej, President and CEO, Visit San Antonio (Visitor/Tourism industry)
- Gabriele Niederauer, PhD, CEO and President, Blue Grass Vascular (Bioscience Industry)
- Jim Perschbach, EVP-Bus. Devel., Port San Antonio (Port San Antonio representative)
- Todd Piland, Exec. Vice President, H-E-B (Industry representative)
- Gen. Edward Rice (USAF ret.), former commander, USAF-AETC (Military representative)
- Maj. Gen. Angie Salinas (USMC ret.), CEO, Girl Scouts of SWTX (Community representative)
- Rosa Santana, Founder/CEO, Santana Group (Industry representative)
- Randy Smith, President, Weston Urban (Regional city representative)