Spanish Exploration & Colonial Era

Early development in San Antonio, including at the first site of Mission San Antonio de Valero, was temporary in nature and was influenced by many factors including geography, proximity to water, and defensive concerns. For example, the Mission San Antonio de Valero was originally located on the west side of the San Pedro Creek approximately a mile south of San Pedro Springs. At this time, the mission complex included a temporary brush arbor chapel and huts or jacales occupied by Native American and Spanish residents (Habig 1977: 25; de la Teja 1995; Fox et al 2002).

Historic Districts

La Villita Historic District

La Villita Historic District

The National Register of Historic Places-listed La Villita Historic District is located a few blocks from Alamo Plaza near downtown San Antonio. It includes twenty-seven nineteenth century dwellings representing unique examples of early residential development in the city...

Mission Parkway National Register District

Mission Parkway National Register District

The National Register of Historic Places-listed Mission Parkway Historic District encompasses most of the Mission Trails hike-and-bike trail alignment and includes a variety of historic resources including archeological sites, buildings, and structures...

Historic Sites

Acequias

Acequias

One of the most significant accomplishments of the Spanish Colonial residents of San Antonio was their construction of a complex and expansive irrigation system comprising dams, gates, and...
0 Comments
Mission Concepción (Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion de Acuna)

Mission Concepción (Mission Nuestra Senora de la Purisima Concepcion de Acuna)

Mission Nuestra Señora de la Purísma Concepción de Acuña (Mission Concepción) is located approximately three miles south of downtown San Antonio. The mission was...
0 Comments
Mission Espada (Mission San Francisco de la Espada)

Mission Espada (Mission San Francisco de la Espada)

Mission San Francisco de la Espada was established in San Antonio in 1731. Like two of the area’s other Spanish Colonial-era missions, it was relocated from East Texas, where it had...
0 Comments
Mission San Antonio de Valero (The Alamo)

Mission San Antonio de Valero (The Alamo)

Mission San Antonio de Valero was founded in 1718 by Fray Antonio de Olivares. Olivares arrived in the San Antonio area in that year with Native American converts from Mission San Francisco Solano...
0 Comments
Mission San Francisco Xavier de Najera Centennial Marker

Mission San Francisco Xavier de Najera Centennial Marker

The Mission San Francisco Xavier de Najera Centennial Marker is located along Mission Road, adjacent to the Riverside Golf Course. The Texas Centennial was a year-long, state-wide celebration of...
0 Comments
Mission San José (Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo)

Mission San José (Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo)

Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo was founded by Father Antonio Margil de Jesus in 1720. Approval for its construction was granted in order to serve several Native American groups who...
0 Comments
Mission San Juan (Mission San Juan Capistrano)

Mission San Juan (Mission San Juan Capistrano)

The history of Mission San Juan Capistrano is similar to that of two other nearby missions in that it was relocated to the San Antonio area from East Texas in 1731. Its purpose was also similar to...
0 Comments
Yturri-Edmunds House and Mill

Yturri-Edmunds House and Mill

The National Register of Historic Places-listed Yturri-Edmunds House is believed to have been constructed in the mid-nineteenth century and is situated on lands originally owned by Mission...
0 Comments
Background Color:
 
Background Pattern:
Reset