Employment - Working for Parks
Full or Part-Time Permanent Employment
The Parks and Recreation department contributes to the overall quality of life in San Antonio. Parkland, recreation centers and aquatics centers give people low-cost and no-cost ways to remain physically active and enjoy the outdoors. Working in parks and recreation can be a rewarding career choice. Review vacant job listings through the City of San Antonio Human Resources department.
The San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department seeks enthusiastic people to fill approximately 600 seasonal jobs every summer. Temporary positions are available working with youth at more than 60 Summer Youth Program sites and also at the department’s 24 outdoor pools.
How to Apply for Summer Positions
- Review vacant job listing online or in person at the Human Resources Department. They are updated daily, except for Sunday.
- Review job descriptions by reading over the job skills required, the job responsibilities and the starting salary.
- Match your skills and needs with those positions listed.
- Complete a City of San Antonio job application online.
Note: We do not accept paper applications.
- All applicants will be subject to a Criminal Background Investigation and Drug Test.
- Public Service Attendants
- Pool Supervisors
- Lifeguards (applicants must be at least 16 and must pass a prerequisite skills test.) The department provides CPR and lifesaving training to prepare them for their lifeguarding responsibilities. Applicants who have passed the prerequisite test will be scheduled for training classes. The starting salary is $10.00 per hour.
For more information on lifeguard training and certification,
call the San Antonio Natatorium.
210.207.3299 or visit Swimming Pools.
Summer Youth Program Positions
- Administrative Associates
- Recreation Assistants, Specialists and Supervisors. Recreation Instructors who specialize in math, science and art. Starting salary for these positions begins at $8.75 per hour.
Do you want to help the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department by participating in one of our volunteer programs? There are a variety of ways you and your organization can get involved, to learn more about our Adopt-a-Park, Green Initiatives, or to volunteer visit our Want to Help page today!
Volunteer Fitness Instructions
Be part of Fitness in the Park, San Antonio Parks and Recreation’s award-winning program, by volunteering to be a fitness instructor. The Fitness in the Park program offers hundreds of fitness classes every month around the City.