Phase 3 (Current)
It’s important to remember that indicators for public access to facilities and park amenities in each phase include : a stable decrease of new COVID-19 cases; appropriate support for medically at-risk populations; and, the ability to effectively monitor, test, trace, and isolate new cases. Updates on the re-opening of park amenities will be posted at saparksandrec.com and social media channels @saparksandrec.
About the Re-opening Plan
On April 28, the COVID-19 Health Transition Team appointed by Mayor Ron Nirenberg and County Judge Nelson Wolff released a multi-phase plan for reopening our community as safely as possible. The plan offers guidance based on public health evidence, data, and expertise to re-open San Antonio and Bexar County.
Read more about the Health Transition Team's Implementation Plan. For more details on the re-opening phases, please visit the COVID-19 Health Transition Team’s Report, A Guide to Opening San Antonio and Bexar County.
Parks & Trails
• City parks, trails, dog parks and green spaces are open.
• Basketball courts, fitness stations, playgrounds, skate parks and sports fields are open.
• Tennis courts and disc golf courses are open.
• Bathrooms and water fountains are open.
• Splash pads are open at select locations. Visit splash pad page for more info.
• Outdoor pools will resume seasonal operations (May – Aug. 2021) with the opening of 6 swimming pools on weekends with some locations offering limited weekday hours. Additional pool locations will open in the Summer.
• Ron Darner Reservations Office is open.
• Community Center reservations for indoor space are not yet available.
• Park Pavilion reservations will open 4/12/21 and can be done online through the department’s reservation system. Reservation of select indoor gymnasiums will begin later in the Spring contingent on hiring. Permit holders are responsible for ensuring COVID-19 protocols are adhered to (Maintaining Social Distancing/Masks Required When Not Engaged in Active Play).
• Outdoor special event permitting is available with capacity limits ensuring physical distancing and face mask requirements as appropriate.
• The Enrique Barrera Fitness Center is open.
• Select Adult & Senior Centers will open on 4/12/21 with reduced capacity to maintain physical distancing. Pre-registration will be required and both virtual and in-person programming will be provided. Meals and food commodities will continue to be provided via curbside.
• Natatorium is open with a limited capacity and modified programming.
• Urban Ecology Center at Hardberger Park is open with a limited capacity.
• Daytime Virtual Learning Hubs will open in 4 locations with an anticipated capacity of 50 participants per location.
• Programs at 12 community center locations will be available in the evenings Monday – Friday and Saturdays.
Social Distancing Information:
If you choose to visit a park, please follow CDC and local health guidelines and practice social distancing.