Type: Decomposed Granite, Concrete
/ Length (Miles): 1.07
San Antonio parks give people an opportunity to spend time enjoying the outdoors, with fresh air, sunshine and exercise on tap for visitors. Take a walk, enjoy the scenery, and de-stress. Studies show people who spend time in parks will be sick less often, which means less time missing from school and work, as well as lower healthcare costs and better overall health. And it’s fun and refreshing. Visit a San Antonio park today! View the Trail Accessibility Map for complete trail information. The outdoor fitness equipment located along the park's trail is by Play and Park Structures.
Amenities Available for Rental
Amenities are first come, first serve with exception of the following available for rental:
Click on the amenity to check its availability before contacting reservations.
John James Park, now 89.6 acres on the east bank of Salado Creek, began as a gift from the federal government of 43 acres received on Dec. 21, 1973, under the Federal Land Surplus Program. It was originally known as Fort Sam Houston Park, but was renamed for John James on June 20, 1974. A native of Nova Scotia, John James arrived in San Antonio in 1837. He became Bexar County chief surveyor and surveyed and established the city's boundaries in 1846. He participated in the Battle of Salado in 1842. In 1844 he surveyed and laid out the city of Castroville. In 1853, he and Charles de Montel established the city of Bandera and set up a horse-powered lumber mill there. He also established the first lumberyard in San Antonio and introduced Merino sheep in the Bandera area. In 1854, he and 35 others headed to California with more than 1,00 head of cattle. James also survey Fort Davis, Boerne, D'Hanis, and Quihi. He is said to have surveyed more land in Texas than any other individual surveyor. James was also the father-in-law of well known architect Alfred Giles. James died on Nov. 26, 1877 at the age of 56.