San Antonio parks give people an opportunity to spend time enjoying the outdoors, with fresh air, sunshine and exercise on tap for visitors. Take a walk, enjoy the scenery, and de-stress. Studies show people who spend time in parks will be sick less often, which means less time missing from school and work, as well as lower healthcare costs and better overall health. And it’s fun and refreshing. Visit a San Antonio park today!
Alcohol is prohibited; amenities are first-come, first-serve with the exception of the ones listed below.
Amenities Available for Rental
The following amenities are available for rental. Use the links below to view facility details or calendar availability. Learn how to make a reservation.
Special Event Rental Fee is based on the number of people who are expected to attend an event.
Crockett Park is split into two pieces, east and west, and can be rented in those two pieces or as a whole. The gazebo is on the east side and the playground on the west side. Alcohol is prohibited at Crocket Park. .
- Gazebo Rental: Monday - Thursday, $60 for the first four hours, 4 hour minimum, and $15 an honor for eery hour after that. Friday-Sunday and holidays, $120 for the first four hours, 4 hour minimum, and $30 an hour for every hour after that.
- Small Family Events: $50 park usage fee
- Large Special Events:
A letter of request is required to include type, date, time and daytime telephone number. Fax to the attention of Cheryl Kindervater at 210-207-3101 or mailed to the Parks and Recreation Department, P.O. Box 839966, San Antonio, Texas 78283.
- Commercial Rates:
$350 for 400 or less with a $500 security deposit $650 for 401-1000 people plus an $800 security deposit $1,000 for 1,001 or more, with a $1,000 security deposit.
- Non-profit Rates:
$250 for 400 or less plus $500 security deposit $500 for 401 - 1,000, with a security deposit of $800 $800 for 1,001 or more with a $1,000 security deposit.
Crockett Square, bisected by Main Avenue and frequently called the "Twin Parks," was established as a public space in 1875. That year, the City of San Antonio settled a lawsuit over ownership of a tract that extended south to the Upper Labor irrigation ditch near today’s Euclid Street, and west to the San Pedro ditch near San Pedro Springs Park. As part of the settlement, the City agreed to "keep forever that certain oblong square of ground…….as one of its public squares."
It was several years before homes were built as far north as the square and new residents began to clamor for the park’s improvement. Soon after the City’s first streetcar line began its run to San Pedro Springs in 1877, real estate developers offered land for sale and building sites quickly replaced pastures and gardens. By August 1883, citizens petitioned City Council to enclose Crockett Square, clear brush from the park, and lay out and mark the streets running through the square. The Council agreed to clean the park using City prisoners, but refused to enclose the area. (Parks were enclosed at that time to keep livestock from damaging plants.)
(Parks were enclosed at that time to keep livestock from damaging plants.) Council minutes reveal the condition of the landscape and City infrastructure in the early 1880s. "…as there being no water convenient, it would be almost impossible for any tree or plant to live in that locality." Crockett Square remained a bleak spot at least until 1886 when the Council finally agreed to spend $215 to enclose the park "with a fence similar to that around Milam Park." Though no description of the fence has been located, other public spaces of the period were enclosed with whitewashed, wooden plank fencing.
There are few known accounts of the park’s appearance in subsequent years. In 1896, City Council directed that holes and gullies at the east end of the park be filled with dirt excavated from new sewer trenches on Main Avenue. According to City Engineer’s drawings in 1911, a new 5-foot wide sidewalk was constructed around the park’s perimeter, and in 1914, walks were built within the two squares.
There are few known accounts of the park’s appearance in subsequent years. In 1896, City Council directed that holes and gullies at the east end of the park be filled with dirt excavated from new sewer trenches on Main Avenue. According to City Engineer’s drawings in 1911, a new 5-foot wide sidewalk was constructed around the park’s perimeter, and in 1914, walks were built within the two squares. The completed plan was formal in design, with internal walks radiating from a central, circular sidewalk to the corners of the square. was formal in design, with internal walks radiating from a central, circular sidewalk to the corners of the square.
A playground was added in later years, along with a gazebo. In 2007, the Tobin Hill Neighborhood Association, the San Antonio Parks Foundation, Parks and Recreation Department staff, Heye Mosaics and students from the North East Independent School District North East School of the Arts collaborated on a tile mosaic around the gazebo, creating a small plaza.
Flowers representing parts of Davy Crockett’s life were selected: an iris from his home state of Tennessee, the bluebonnet for Texas, the state he helped liberate, and a dahlia, representing Mexico, to which he intended to immigrate and where he ended up during the revolution.
Jon Thompson and Kathleen Trenchard designed the graphics. Artist Jerimiah Heye of Heye Mosaics translated the graphics into the tile mosaics. Students from Northeast School of Arts helped to produce templates for the concrete impressions and for layout of the mosaics as well as in the production of the mosaics. Technical assistance was provided by artist and instructor Leonardo Benavides.
The project received a $19,000 grant from the San Antonio Parks Foundation and the cement work creating the plaza around the gazebo was done by the Parks and Recreation Department in-house construction crew headed by Marvin Klar.