The Parks and Recreation Department has implemented a program in which Trail Stewards patrol Salado, Leon Creek, and Medina River greenway trails. The Trail Stewards answer questions, hand out trail maps, and report maintenance issues. They carry cell phones and use the same bikes and equipment issued as Park Police.
The goals of the program include:
- Increased visibility on the greenway trails
- Outreach and education on park rules to include proper trail usage and safety tips
- Distribution of trail maps and emergency water
- Identification of trail and greenway maintenance needs
- Addressing small scale maintenance activities such as litter pick-up and graffiti abatement
- And observation and report function for the department and Park Police.
Training includes CPR and first aid certification as well as a bike safety program.