Medians: Median Islands
Median islands are raised landscaped areas located in the center of a roadway in the middle of a block. Median islands narrow the travel lanes and separate opposing traffic flows.
- May reduce the speed of vehicles as motorists travel around the median
- Some on-street parking may be eliminated
- May require right-of-way acquisition
- No more than one travel lane in each direction
- Signs and vegetation must conform to the Clear Vision Area ordinance
- Neighborhood Association Landscape Maintenance Agreement required if landscaping is included